Learning

epanzella

Active User
Registered
The great thing about machining is that you learn new stuff every day. Today I learned that if you're tapping a 1/4 x 20 hole and it's taking forever, you should check to see if you grabbed a 1/4 x 28 tap by mistake.

Someone, not Me gave an oldcodger an left hand drill bit and He did not catch it and spent 15 minutes trying to sharpen it. In His defense He was in a hurry.

Somewhere I have what was supposed to be the threaded locking lever for a Craftsman bench top drill press: I had tried to get it installed for about 10 minutes before I looked at it closely and saw that the rolled threads were actually just grooves. Craftsman sent me a replacement and I used to keep the oddball sitting around to frustrate others.

Somewhere I have what was supposed to be the threaded locking lever for a Craftsman bench top drill press: I had tried to get it installed for about 10 minutes before I looked at it closely and saw that the rolled threads were actually just grooves. Craftsman sent me a replacement and I used to keep the oddball sitting around to frustrate others.
I had a collection of such fubars. Double start threads will throw you for a loop too With a casual glance, they look like the correct thread.

I had a collection of such fubars. Double start threads will throw you for a loop too With a casual glance, they look like the correct thread.
When anyone asked why I had it on my desk, I would hand it to them along with a nut that should have threaded on and offered them $10 if they had the dexterity to thread the nut on the lever.

Building tooling years ago grabbed a 3/8ths-16x3 bolt and for the life of me could not get it to start in the thread. Chamfered the end thinking it might be buggered up. Still no go. Looked at it a little closer. It must have somehow slipped when they were rolling the thread and it had 16 pitch grooves not threads. Keep it around as a souvenir.

Back