Leather Belt Question Sb10

With belt tension adjustment, you can still leave a little slack in the serpentine belt. I set mine up to slip in case anything bad happened :grin: It was still very quiet and smooth.

GG

I have been lucky more than once with belts slipping for me only at opportune times.

Whew

Bernie

The Hudson Belt company of Worcester, Massachusetts should be ably to replace your leather belt.

http://www.mindravegroup.com/hudsonbelting/index.html

A leather belt that is linked with a cotter pin can also be installed with minimal fuss.
Charles
Appreciate the link - very convenient / I can probably do a drive by.

So here is a question for all - I am looking at the orgnal spec sheet and data for the lathe and I am not 100% of what SHOULD be on the machine. It is an 8187ZN 10" Tool room lathe (10L). It is an underdrive unit on a metal bench (with the round leg bottoms) The sheet lists 10" Underdrive Cabinet Metal Bench or 10" Underdrive Cabinet Leg Floor .....each with different belt dimensions. Both are 5/32 thk, 1" wide but one is 58-1/8" long and the other is 61 -1/2" long. BTW - they list the 10K" Underdrive Cabinet Metal Bench at 9/64 x 3/4 x 61-7/8"
What say the experts?

Hi opsoff1,

I just stumbled across this thread again, but recently I've been digging thru a bunch of old SouthBend manuals.
So when I saw the catalog number "8187ZN" you posted above, I went searching for it.

Check out page 4 of the attached manual from 1948.
It lists a "8187-Z"....I am not sure what the trailing "N" would signify....

-brino

EDIT: maybe I read too quick...I thought you said you were looking _for_ the original spec sheet. Now I see you were looking _at_ the original spec sheet. I don't believe there is any new info in the file I attached. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

Attachments

• 1948 - Cat 22, South Bend Precision Machine Tools.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Bought a truck serpentine belt from NAPA for my 16". Did about a 3" overlap (sanded the ends a bit), glued with shoe goo, and drilled some small holes in 3 of the ribs and laced. Works great!

Excellent, I am glad it worked out! :encourage:

For my lathe I use belts that have been "retired" from my truck....I figure if it fails on the lathe I do not need to call a tow truck. ;)

The first time I tried an overlap (even with tapering both ends) I ended up with a spot on the belt that did NOT bend like the rest,...not thicker; just stiffer...it always made a noise going around the small pulley.

-brino

I did mine with a green belt from albino flat belts , I ordered one 92-5/8 which is about an inch to long , I'm at max adjustment, but it is quite and smooth running ,came with the rite glues to. Some day I'll take that inch out , 91-1/2" would of been perfect

image.jpeg

Hey guys,

I just stumbled across a copy of the South Bend bulletin on flat belt splicing and thought I'd share it.
Hopefully it helps someone.

I'll also check the downloads area and put it there if it is not yet.

-brino

Attachments

• Belt Splicing Instructions - Bulletin No 600.pdf
    737.9 KB · Views: 11
Back