[Lathe] Leather Belt Slipping - 2 inch

ljbenjam

Registered
Registered
I am new to the hobby. I have a ~1946 South Bend that was not in use for several years. I have gotten the leather “flexible” again but am having trouble with the amount that the belt had stretched. The adjustment has been used so that does not appear to be an option.

I have started poking around for either a new belt, but believe if I could put new ends in the belt I could cut between 4-6” out of the belt. Does anyone have a source?

I have considered cutting and gluing ends back together. Best advice I have seen is to use high quality contact cement. Has anyone done this in the past? Can you provide more particulars or point me to a good place to read more about how?

Larry

You might give a thought to using an automotive serpentine belt, they work well. You can cut a glue one to size to fit your lathe. Really easy to do--lots of info on the net on how to do it--but basically you grind the belt to create two overlaps (just don't grind thru the nylon threads)I use a belt sander and then glue with loctite super glue for rubber (walmart, ect) and clamp between a couple of blocks for a short time and your ready to go.

I am new to the hobby. I have a ~1946 South Bend that was not in use for several years. I have gotten the leather “flexible” again but am having trouble with the amount that the belt had stretched. The adjustment has been used so that does not appear to be an option.

I have started poking around for either a new belt, but believe if I could put new ends in the belt I could cut between 4-6” out of the belt. Does anyone have a source?

I have considered cutting and gluing ends back together. Best advice I have seen is to use high quality contact cement. Has anyone done this in the past? Can you provide more particulars or point me to a good place to read more about how?

Larry

Tractor Supply Company carries belting and the connectors in assorted sizes. I've been thinking about picking up some spare belting myself sometime.

To answer the question on what I did to make flexible, I used a small amount of oil. Unfortunately there are NO threads on the turnbuckle left. The jam nut is hard against turn nut…. I had neglected to look at it before pulling a little oil on it. Then the real cause, a rookie error, I forgot to take tension off one evening and it went done hill from there…. Now the real truth comes out…..
:eek:

I have stopped by Tractor Supply and picked up the lacing. In fact I ended up with two sets for the cost of a half, as they were clearancing a “splice” kit. Here’s the next question:

How do you put the lacing in the leather, if you do not have the $150 jig that puts them on?
:dunno:

I have considered a couple of options, but thought I would ask before I made another “rookie” mistake……..

Thanks again to all that responded. Please keep the guidance coming……

Larry

today I bought a lacing tool( hinged type you put in a lathe) and the clips off of ebay for 20 bones plus shipping

Back