Let there be light - on my 932

RebelJD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I decided to add a quill light to my PM-932M. I had a mag based led light I would use but the glare off the mill vise and shinny parts just wasn't working for me. I have seen commercially available quill lights but I decided to build my own. I didn't want to have a separate power cord running to a 120vac outlet so I used a small 220vac to 12vdc power supply and mounted it in the electrical box on the side of the mill head. And since there was a blank space on the operators panel I put the on-off switch for the light there. For actual light I purchased a "Halo" led light typically used on cars. I bought all parts on Amazon. The light and the power supply only came in pairs, but I guess I have spares now.

The halo light has an inside diameter of 98mm and fits perfectly around the quill. I siliconed the light to the bottom of the quill base (I removed the paint first) and made a small notch for the wires to exit. I spliced a new cable and secured it with a cable clamp. The new cable runs thru a grommet on the bottom of the electrical box and connects to the power supply.

I'm very happy with the installation and 360 degree light it provides. One lesson learned was that since I installed the quill base a little lower on the quill (to provide best light on the work) the scale will come out of the quill DRO if you lower the quill entirely. Actually I think this would happen even in the original position. I plan to make a small spacer to raise the scale back up.

IMG_9314[1].JPGIMG_9308[1].JPGIMG_9312[1].JPG
IMG_9306[1].JPGIMG_9313[1].JPG

Nicely done!!!

Looks great!
I did the same thing on my 833T. I did find though that when using small cutters there is still a shadow, so I am going to 3D print an arm to hold a LED to alleviate that.

Looks great!
I did the same thing on my 833T. I did find though that when using small cutters there is still a shadow, so I am going to 3D print an arm to hold a LED to alleviate that.
Thanks I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Looks great!

Yeah, that is correct. I just got an inexpensive, magnetic base, LED lamp that I place to illuminate the cutter...

This one, along with the 3D printer LED ring, works great.

Back