Lets Talk Runnout

What specifically did you do, to clean/polish the spindle taper? if you pulled the pin, are you sure you got the spindle bearings and everything seated properly when you put the spindle back together?
The pin being gone will not hurt anything and would help IF you had a problem.

+1 on checking the bearing preload.

now this has me thinking cuz I had issues with collets fitting my new PM932 from get go ..I had to spend allot of time cleaning /polishing spindle R8 taper to get anything to fit ( tight jammed ect...... .. and than what I did do was remove the spindle pin altogether ( was advised by Matty at PM ) he said didn't matter ..and it sounded logical bc its a taper . hmmmmm anyone?

now what id like to know and get someone to concur is their is a good possibility in what I have observed as far as up to .0035 runout with a good quality chuck lest say 1-2 " from spindle can be from removing taper pin ?

or that shouldn't mean squat Bc i do get good readings with lets say 2-4" down from collet face when using collet instead of drill chuck ?
Pulling the pin in the spindle socket will not increase runout. However, if there is runout, it now has the possibility of being inconsistent as the R8 tooling can go into the socket in any orientation. Total observable runout will be the vector sum of all the separate runouts meaning that it is conceivable to install the various components so they runouts are in opposing directions and they can cancel or reduce the overall runout.

If you are getting acceptable runout with a collet and pin but not with a R8 mounted chuck, the runout is most probably within the the R8 mounted chuck.. It could be internal to the chuck or associated with the R8 arbor or both.

There is a possibility that the runout in the collet/pin is canceling out runout in the spindle socket. This can be checked by rotating the collet 180 degrees (you can do this since you have removed the pin). If the collet/pin are running true, you should not see any change in runout.

Bob

I would check the R8 to chuck adapter first . If it is a new chuck it most likely in the adapter.

Back