Lincoln high freq. box

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi, has anyone used one of these High - Freq. boxes with any success ??. Iv'e had it for quite some time and wonder if it's worth having. Thanks. Charlie.2CB214F9-F712-4168-8DEC-EE334467C265.jpeg6A3CAEB7-EC04-4B4B-8DED-06EC4725FB76.jpegCA6F938A-C47D-4115-A8BC-F5988EDE1F7B.jpegACF084D1-A9A0-4BA8-8424-4A03EDA09554.jpeg9004A180-3430-4687-A320-B97FEB739DE9.jpeg

I have a Linde version of that. I have never tried it, but the instructions indicate that it will convert an AC "buzz box" welder into a TIG machine. I believe that since there is no foot pedal, it would be a "scratch start" unit that would not perform well on aluminum. I should set it up on my Miller Thunderbolt and try it out.

I have a Linde version of that. I have never tried it, but the instructions indicate that it will convert an AC "buzz box" welder into a TIG machine. I believe that since there is no foot pedal, it would be a "scratch start" unit that would not perform well on aluminum. I should set it up on my Miller Thunderbolt and try it out.
Hi, thanks for the reply. The 5 pin amptrol is pictured. I have not hooked this one up either. If its worth I would hook it up to my 250/250 AC/DC Lincoln tombstone welder and save myself a trip to my sons when needed. Thanks.

I've heard people getting pretty bad shocks from those things so be careful :)
I have heard that also. I have a friend who got some shock from his Miller tig which is almost new, but I don't know the story as to what caused that to happen, but it really shock him up. I know the old Lincoln 250 I have has protection from the high freq. zapping me should I hook it up. It was available for that reason long ago. To verify if it has that protection you can tell by looking just above the selector on the front panel and if there is a machine screw head present ( its holding the little box ) it has the protection, otherwise there will only be a 3/16" hole. Not taking any chance I removed the cover and it was present and it is the Lincoln part. I added the part Lincoln uses to prevent stray freq. from hitting you. Bought it before I learned my doghouse 250 had it installed already. I don't know if it would also cover the 225 buzz box Lincoln, 04158FCF-35E0-4FD7-85E3-0134206BA20C.jpeg780345E9-2946-422D-ADF9-7474DA7288B8.jpegso you would have to give them a call. Thanks.

Last edited:
Years ago, actually many years ago. lol I learned how to TIG weld on the Miller version of one. It worked well, ran it off an AC welder as mentioned. The one I used had no foot pedal, a simple valve on the torch to turn the argon on and off.
Come to think of it, I now have a Miller TIG welder and my welds don't look any beter after years of using it , so maybe they're a terrific machine.

Greg

It looks like I'm going to give it a shot then. It will save me a lot of time not having to go to my sons house. Thanks so much for your reply

I had a hf box at a place I used to work and welded up field ladders with it. It made the Thunderbolt we had really strain and smoked it. I have no idea if I was doing something wrong, I went by the instructions. YMMV.

Back