Live tooling on lathe vs "Y" axis

Full story to help explain. I'm considering buying a CNC lathe and trying to see how much I need. Looking at the photos of the parts above looks to me like a 'standard' lathe with no "Y" axis but having live tooling would do what I want. I'm looking to be able to profile inside and outside which obviously a lathe can do. But also some cross bore holes, all on the centerline of the part, nothing offset or flats on the exterior.

I've been 'window shopping' machines and I had thought at first I would need the "Y" axis to do what I need. But at some point I realized with live tooling I think I can accomplish what I need. I just wanted to make sure. It's not so much a time issue on doing the secondary ops as it would be a cost issue of buying both machines to do them.

It's not so much a time issue on doing the secondary ops as it would be a cost issue of buying both machines to do them.
It's not very practical having a $50K mill and an operator running secondary operations when they could be doing something more productive. Especially when the lathe is capable of spitting out finished parts, but it took a couple of design iterations to figure out the best way of doing it. Also in our case, adding the C axis to the lathe.

Back