Lms 3990 Mill

One of the excersises I did with my lathe was to turn a cylinder to an exact diameter that I decided on before hand s well as facing both ends to create a perfect cylinder. I practiced creating cubes on the mill by facing all 6 sides to end up with a cube of a predetermined size. Both good practice as they are the process you will go through to start any project requiring precision results. I also worked on drilling and taping holes in a precise location on each shape.

I just bought a 3990 mill and a 7" x 10" precision lathe. I have never used a lathe or a mill so I really have no clue where to start. I have been looking at threads but I am not familiar with the lingo or the tooling so it is somewhat like reading French. I have watched some videos by Frank Hoose that I like but I am wondering if anyone has a link or something that shows the basics or where to start?

Brentb1 congratulations on your new machines. There is a tremendous amount to learn, but just one step at a time makes it easy. If you have a Vocational-Technical school nearby you might check on adult night classes with them. You might even be able to find someone in the class who is willing to come over and help get you started. The 5 piece indexable lathe tool bits from harbor freight are actually pretty good. The brazed carbide tool bits they sell are not good at all. For some information on metals and what they are used for:
http://onlinemetals.com/
Click on the metal category you want For instance Bronze C932 Bearing Bronze and they have a description of the metals uses. The same for all of the metals and plastics. Any further information can be had by a google search of the metal you are looking for. If you sign up for online metals emails, they will send you coupon code every month for 10% to 20% off.

For first time use of the lathe and vertical mill/drill acetal plastic is fun and easy to machine. It also works great for light duty bushings. It is very forgiving of beginners mistakes. Don't ask me how I know.

There are many very talented experienced machinists/craftsman here on this forum. They don't look down on beginners and are loaded with tips and tricks. They can answer just about any question you have. Don't be afraid to ask. This is perhaps the best forum on the internet.

Welcome aboard.
Roy

brav65, I will be looking for the machinist handbook tonight. my mill will be here tomorrow morning and I cannot wait. I went to the scrap yard and picked up some steel and aluminum to practice with. They did not have much selection, the steel is 2.5" in diameter by roughly 3.5 length, alum. is 3/8 thick by 2" wide 2' long. I am not sure if I can use the steel on lathe as it my be to big. If anyone might have an idea of what I could make or ideas of what to do to practice I am open to anything. I did buy some tooling for lathe at HF which is the set that comes with the lathe and also 5pc indexable mini lathe set "only tooling they had".

I think the book you are probably looking for is the Machinery's Handbook, otherwise known as the Bible. I suggest getting a large print edition if you get a new one. The standard sized print will strain even young eyes, and even the large print is fairly small.

Thank you for the reply , I will do those exercises. Thanks for clarifying the book title. So for dumb question number 1. "if this doesn't show I have never used a mill before" How do I attach the vise? I know it should be the most simple thing about this entire process but..... This is the vise that comes with the tooling kit from LMS, it comes with lets call them holders that have a stud which slides in the holes in vise. They are square and one side has a recessed hole which I assumed would face up, well when I do that the studs I use do not thread tight so I flipped it the other way and the studs seem like they will interfere with the work piece. Am I doing it wrong "probably"? The studs I was using came out of a clamp kit which again came with the tooling kit. I don't want to attach it wrong and have serious consequences. I know I am a total beginner but I really want to learn the correct way of doing things.

One other quick question, I do a lot of woodworking so I was thinking of a very simple project to start with and came up with making a reveal block out of alum. it is used to gauge the reveal of trim. I use three different reveal depths depending on the work so I will mill out say 1/4" on one end of the block and go about 1/8 deep. is this type of cut made with an end mill?

Thank you for the reply , I will do those exercises. Thanks for clarifying the book title. So for dumb question number 1. "if this doesn't show I have never used a mill before" How do I attach the vise? I know it should be the most simple thing about this entire process but..... This is the vise that comes with the tooling kit from LMS, it comes with lets call them holders that have a stud which slides in the holes in vise. They are square and one side has a recessed hole which I assumed would face up, well when I do that the studs I use do not thread tight so I flipped it the other way and the studs seem like they will interfere with the work piece. Am I doing it wrong "probably"? The studs I was using came out of a clamp kit which again came with the tooling kit. I don't want to attach it wrong and have serious consequences. I know I am a total beginner but I really want to learn the correct way of doing things.

Look at the "Chris' Tips" tab on this web page. http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2675

Tom

Thanks for the link. To be honest I thought that everything I would need would be included in the kit. No big deal I will run out and get some bolts and then good to go. Thanks again

Back