Logan 200 question

I have the rear cover for that machine. If your back gears and bullgear are good, you shouldn't have any problem finding a headstock with a good spindle/bearings that's being sold cheap because the gears are bad. I don't know what prices are like in your area, but in IL it's pretty common to buy the old logan models without the qc gearbox for 200-250. That's why some buy them and part them out. They're worth more in pieces than they are as a whole.

Chuck

Hey;

Yep; Frankenlathe. Rather odd in a way, to go to so much trouble. It seems that either these parts came from another Logan in a complete bunch, or there was some specific purpose in mind for this extreme level of modification. Otherwise, why not just get the right stuff? Not like it isn't plentiful. maybe it wasn't then? The rear of your case has definitely been machined for a more precise fit, and to get preload for that taper bearing. As Chuck says, if it works, go with it, or get a used loaded head stock (like I did) for parts.

What serial number is yours? By the case I see it is post 1943. Be advised that some time after my earlier version (1942 #15235) there was a change in the cone and cone gear. you need to make sure you have a matched pair, as they will not interchange. The ID is the same (using the same spindle), but the Oilite bushing and the shoulder OD and cone ID are quite different. Both spindles measure 12-7/16 in length.

Pic 1 - Milling the back of the case for a possible future preload setup.
Pic 2 - Before I started. Kind of obvious why I needed parts, eh?
Pic 3 - Spindle exploded.
Pic 4 - Late and early cone gears.

LoganCaseCenter2.jpg LoganSpindle2ndExploded.jpg LoganConeGearCompare.jpg LoganBackbearingMill.jpg

Also;

I have a spare later case like yours (no switch opening in the lower right front) with a decent emblem on it, and an extra spindle in decent shape. I always hesitate to get rid of stuff before completing a project, but we might work something out. Oddly, I would be interested in your hacked gear cover, as mine is missing the change gear chart.

Currently the lathe (before I tore it apart) was running smoothly with no problems. The left side cover needed trimmed a little (ok alot!) to fit reasonably well. There is a piece that needs made to finish covering the spindle gear, but after that I think it will run for another 50 years. I don't remember the s/n, but I did look it up one time and the lathe is from 1942. The guy I bought it from said it came out of the FBI's work shop in DC. His dad worked in the shop and when they upgraded he was able to buy it (or acquire it?). So the modifications must have been done by the original owner (FBI).

Redlineman- Thanks for the offer I will consider it. I didn't plan on restoring it, I just want to use it. If I can get the current config back together, I will use just use it.

Need to buy a serpentine belt and put it back together.

Back