Logan 820 -- cross-slide question

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How far should the cross-slide go, and should it be an equally smooth slide the entire way? As can be seen in the second picture, I can get it past center but not far before it suddenly becomes a hard slog. I have not attempted to force it further. Is there a way to adjust the travel? The only screws available are the four in the first picture, and the two facing straight down, just off the compound base (only one is readily seen, the other is in the opposite position. I loosened all of them but there is no effect. I have used way oil on the slide.
The original manual is silent on the subject, and I've not turned up anything on searches.

Many thanks,
Tim
20190129_191128.jpg20190129_193434.jpg

If you take off the chip guard (held on with the two round head screws), you should be able to see when the cross feed nut hits the saddle casting. That will be the limit of your travel. Looks like I have about 4-1/2 inches between the far end of the saddle casting and end of the chip guard at max travel (on a Logan 200).

Check to make sure there's no gunk on the sliding parts, and check to see if the cross feed screw itself is clean and oiled.

If it's a heavily used machine it could be worn in on the side that's used most often. The gib screws were probably adjusted for smooth but snug motion at the end closest to you.

Hope this helps.
TomKro

TK, many thanks, very helpful, I'll give it a shot.

Tim

Tom was hugely helpful offline, and it's fixed! Gib screws were too tight. Now they're not, the cross-slide works perfectly, and I know a whole lot more.
Love this board!
Tim

Back