Logan 825 back gear question

UpNorthSavage

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if I am going about putting my Logan 825 into back gear correctly. On my South Bend 9 and Craftsman 12" I pull a pin out on my bull gear and then engage my back gears. The Logan appears to have a flip down lever on the bull gear that removes a pin from the pulley assembly? I have not tried to run in back gear yet wanting to confirm that this is the correct operation.

If you release the tension on the drive belt then you can experiment with different things by just turning the chuck by hand and observing how the controls work. If you think it is in back gear and it won't turn, then something is not right.
Just like leaving the pin inserted in the bull gear of the SB while it is in back gear. On mine the belt is so warn, if I forget and hit the power, it just throws the flat belt, no harm done.

I posted the question on the Logan Facebook page and got my answers. Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum! I do hope you stick around and contribute!

Next time, for the benefit of the next person with a similar question, do share the answer.

From the Parts List/Instruction Manual available here:
https://store.lathe.com/pl-07.html

View attachment 461221

Also, besides FB, Scott Logan has a Yahoo group as well: https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List

FYI, all the Yahoo groups have been closed. Many, including the Logan group, migrated to groups.io

After pulling the pin in the bull gear, the back gear must be rotated/lifted into contact by pulling on the knob on the tail stock. The backgrar shaft is mounted on an eccentric and pulling out the knob rotates the backgears into enguagement.

When the eccentric is out of adjustment the back gears won't engage. I've had two that were miss-adjusted and the knob was sticking out all the time with the back gears disengaged. The eccentric adjustment instructions are in the Logan Lathe sub-forum here on Hobby Machinist.

Ron

FYI, all the Yahoo groups have been closed. Many, including the Logan group, migrated to groups.io

Ron

Correct... Good catch. I wrote Yahoo group when I meant to write groups.io The link I provided was the correct one... let me see if I can edit my previous post.

After pulling the pin in the bull gear, the back gear must be rotated/lifted into contact by pulling on the knob on the tail stock. The backgrar shaft is mounted on an eccentric and pulling out the knob rotates the backgears into enguagement.

When the eccentric is out of adjustment the back gears won't engage. I've had two that were miss-adjusted and the knob was sticking out all the time with the back gears disengaged. The eccentric adjustment instructions are in the Logan Lathe sub-forum here on Hobby Machinist.

Ron
Mine is the older version where there is a lever that you rotate that drops the pin out of the pulleys. I was unsure if that was the way it operates but found out that this is correct.

Correct... Good catch. I wrote Yahoo group when I meant to write groups.io The link I provided was the correct one... let me see if I can edit my previous post.
De nada. Just figured I'd mention it just in case. FWIW I think killing off the groups was the stupidest decision Comcast made after the more stupid decision to purchase Yahoo.

Mine is the older version where there is a lever that you rotate that drops the pin out of the pulleys. I was unsure if that was the way it operates but found out that this is correct.
Good to know. Thanks!

Ron

Back