Long work

Here's my recent long stock fun ;-) 8' long on my little Rockwell...
33cb2b34b969825d52941587e13555ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Do you use pre-glued dowels?
The dowels are put in to the edges of the panels by a CNC bore & insert machine. At the assembly station glue is put in the holes with a hand held injector that puts out a measured amount with each trigger pull. It is fed from a pressure pot. Those things are a bit of a PIA if not carefully maintained. A bead of melamine glue is put where the panels join. All the hardware (drawer guides, hinge plates, etc.) is put on before assembly. The backs slide into a groove that has been made on the CNC router, same for all the hardware screw holes. Nailers are attached after the case is in the clamp with pocket screws. We used to dowel them but there was some, mostly employee issue. We had tested pre-glued dowels. They didn't work as reliably. I think the problem was with how fast the water would soak away into the board and not get the glue wet enough. We don't do kitchens, almost all commercial work so a lot of the cases tend to be large sometimes with a lot of parts. Periodically "test" cases get made and then destroyed to see how well they hold up. "Test" cases are also known as screw-ups!
The guys are currently working on an airport remodel. Next up is a school. They do a fare amount of medical. Hospitals constantly remodel. The bottom fell out of the retail store work. We have a side line of custom molding, lots of curves. Shop is 24,500 sq. ft.

Back