Looking for a glass scale with height of 32mm or less (height of scale+encoder)

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
I'd like to install a glass scale on the saddle of my Hardinge HLV for the cross slide. The height of the cross slide is 32mm, so idealy the combined height of the scale+encoder, should be equal or less.

The smallest I have seen is this one: https://acu-rite.com/pdf/SENC_50_11-15.pdf

Not only are they very expensive, but I would need to remove 2mm or metal on the saddle.

The Aikron "sllim" series are much more affordable, but require 43mm.

This guide may help. It shows the cross slide scale mounted sideways, with the slot/opening, facing the tailstock.

I also found some other photos showing the scale sticking up above the surface of the cross slide. Maybe not the mose elegant solution, but it clearly worked for that person (google "hardinge HLV DRO", and look at images.

Lastly, a fair number of people use a "slim" magnetic scale for the cross slide. That's what I did because I didn't have room for a glass scale on my lathe (not a Hardinge).

KA200 is about the smallest glass scale I have seen- 33mm high total- $$$
KA200dwg.jpg

scalesizes.jpg

Last edited:
@maxime.levesque there might be another way to do what you want but via a different approach.

In this thread, the author shows how he embedded magnetic tape in the under side (inside) of the cross slide of his Myford. He mounted the read head on the carriage where it "sees" the tape. It's a very compact solution on a smaller lathe and it gets the scale away from the action.

I've done the same thing with my Myford with good results. It's not a glass scale but it solves the problem of a bulky scale obstructing use of the lathe. In my case the scale is a claimed 1 micron resolution, as good as you can get in a glass or mag scale. For background, I have a combination of 1u compact and standard glass plus a couple of mag tape scales on my lathe & (First) mill, all from Ditron and I'm satisfied with all of them. I made a custom quill scale using mag tape for the mill.

The mag tape is the same base material used in Ditron's standard mag scales but you get a roll of it and cut the length to fit your application and cap it with a thin stainless steel tape to protect it. Aikron and others offer the tape as well.

I don't know if this is an option for a Hardinge but it's there to consider.

D :cool:

Last edited:
Back