Looking for a good height gauge

Justjoe

Registered
Registered
I've been shopping for a good height gauge. 6" to 12" range, I would prefer dial or digital. Hoping to stay around $100. Does anybody have any good suggestions or a used one they might like to sell. Some of the unit in the price range I've been looking. As the reviews go they seam ok. But I really like a first hand experience before buying a no name unit.
Thanks Mont

Your price range is pretty limiting, ''good'' and ''cheap'' are mutually exclusive. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. In the cheap ones go with vernier or dial, stay away from the electronic. I bought a like new Mitutoyo 12'' vernier for $25 off of Craigslist, the guy obviously had no idea what he was selling. I also bought a new 6'', cheap electronic one for $49, it more or less works, sort of.

Here is a 12'' from Shars that might be worth l;ooking at https://www.shars.com/products/measuring/height-gages/12-double-beam-dial-height-gage

I have a too big Shars vernier ht gage and it has been great. I really want a 6" electronic just because of the ability to do quick layouts and set a 0 as well as switching betweem metric and imperial measurements.

I use a Starrett 12" vernier height gage with 50 division vernier, easy to read, should be had on e bay for that price.

Patience is your friend here. Watch CL and eBay for a name brand. I found a 12 in. Mitutoyo for about $70 on eBay.

edit: If you buy used, make sure it has the scribe. Many don't.

Last edited:
I use a Starrett 12" vernier height gage with 50 division vernier, easy to read, should be had on e bay for that price.
I picked up a 14” Starrett vernier “master bar” height gage with a bunch of snugs, attachments and a B&S Best test for $120. You want quality buy a good used vernier and you’ll never have to worry about dead batteries or being out of calibration.

If your budget is less than $100.00 I would think that's more in the range of a Vernier model than an electronic one. I have 2 B&S 585 Vernier's I bought from a local used equipment dealer. One is a 12" and the other is a 24". They were both in excellent shape, and in the $50.00 range. They're both easy to read, even with my old eyes. There are currently several different models listed on eBay between $50.00 and $125.00

Thanks for all the good advice, Ill keep my eyes open for a good used one

I picked up an 18" Mitutoyo for $75 bucks at a swap meet. You never know when one is going to pop up.

I have a metric double-beam China height gauge identical to the Shars linked above. It's a good gauge, easy to use. Measures to .001.
I also have a German Helios vernier gauge that measures .0001. Not as quick or as easy to use, but I trust it.
If I were in the market now, I'd look for a used Mitutoyo dial height gauge. Seen plenty of good deals on those. Used to use one at the machine shop I worked for, and thought the Mitu was very nice.

Back