Looking For A " U S A" Metal Stamp

Besides, I'm not very likely to spend $1,400 - $1,700 to buy one.
Found a Model 4 at a garage sale (in Philomath, OR) several years ago. I think it was something like $40, including about 50-75 blank anodized aluminum social security card plates. :)

I get my custom stamps made by Buckeye Engraving Co. You talk to the guy who actually DOES the work. You can request ANY font style that you can find. And,once you get a stamp made,you can order years later and get the same size and style stamp to match your other stamps if you desire.

I used to get them made by Hansen Co. Makers of taps and die sets. I could talk to the actual guy in the shop. Then,they put this stubborn,ignorant woman there. I could not get past her,and I GAVE UP on them when she asked "What's a serif"?

Buckeye is SO MUCH BETTER!

I certainly WOULD NOT try silver soldering stamps together. You will ANNEAL the stamps by doing that. Then,how are you going to stamp even MILD STEEL with them. Plus,as mentioned,the letters are too far apart.

McMaster Carr sells a set that works good. I used them when I was assembling Mobile Howitzer Turret Rings.

Sets with Standard Duty Holder
8642t39p2-i02cs.png
For use on materials with a Rockwell hardness up to C38. Number and letter sets contain a holder and 0-9, A-Z, period, forward slash (/), dash, ampersand (&), and blanks.

8642t39p2-i02cs.png

8642t39p2-i02cs.png

I have a similar set of stamps. They look like type for printing. What I don't like is the letters are plain Gothic,without any serifs,so you just make basic "no style" letters. Not very attractive if you care about aesthetics.

I think a lot of projects fall short of being outstanding pieces of work,because the maker used these plain style stamps for letters on his job. I spent years at scouring flea markets looking for,and finding nice,old stamps from 1/32" to 1/2" high. I gave the 1/2" set to a harness maker friend since he uses letters that large on leather covered boxes that are carried on the back end of the carriages that roll around in Williamsburg. I have no real need for letters that large.

When I can, I use an ECE machine to mark parts. One day I'll get a permanent plastic stencil made up with my company name on it. I made the temporary stencils on a small stencil blank pretty much like a mimeograph stencil. I keep an old electric typewriter to to make them. It's the style with the interchangeable wheel.....can't remember right off hand, Selectric maybe. I only have one or two wheels for it, and that limits my choices . I wish I could find some different fonts that were a little less plain. I can etch up to about 0.012-0.015 deep if I need to, and it doesn't matter if the material is hard or not, as long as it is conductive.

When I shut down the last QC dept the company ran, I collected all the steel stamps. I must have 25 sets, or partials. One day I'll sort them out and see what is actually usable. Some I know where used on harder material and ruined, so I will have spares on some characters, and shorts on some. Or plenty of spares for anyone who has lost a stamp. Who hasn't sent one flying across the shop? Or into the crotch? At least once the tears clear, those you might be able to find.

In a tight, I can freehand a stencil....that I kind of like, if I had any artistic ability. I tried tracing from a printed clip art once, and it actually turned out pretty nice. I need to drag all that stuff out and see what electrolytes I am short on.

ECE is something you might look into. Startup cost is not all that cheap, but versatility is fantastic, IMO. You can make your own stencils, as I do, or have a "USA" stencil made that is permanent. They are plastic, and are very reasonably priced. Also you can get a basic machine for pretty cheap. They are simply a low voltage power supply. You could build a basic one easily.

I would think if someone took the regular stamps and then had them ground so that they went together in a handle like the one in the set. That could work.

Back