Looking for advice on a small (ish) mill

So I bought the correct spanner wrench from McMaster, and gave the nut 2 good smacks... The taper tooling came right out. I've read other posts about this Erickson Qc30 tool holders. I've read you can buy the nt30 holders from grizzly and modify the flange thickness to make them work with this quick change, but i don't have access to a lathe. So 2 questions:
1: Anyone have any good sources to find these tool holders besides eBay?
2: Anyone have any used holders laying around they want to sell? (or trade for atv/motorcycle parts haha)

Attachments

• 20190716_115802.jpg
    20190716_115802.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 27
First off, Thank you for all your advice and help. Our atv shop got insane and I haven't had time to breathe until last week. I pulled the mill in and fixed a ton of the issues. I got the gib loosened up (the adjuster screw was broken) the knee unstuck, the vfd functioning, the spindle turning, the vise bolted on, and chips thrown! Then I went down last night, and wired my new pmdx control board to the existing stepper drivers, and hooked it to my laptop, and I am how controlling it with Mach 4. Im a long way from knowing Mach 4 super well, but I can at least manually run the mill through Mach 4. The broken gib screw... I put some weld bead on it to build it up, then welded a nut to it, then turned it out with a ratchet. No damage anywhere. Phew. I need to install limit switches for all axes, but right now, I can run whatever I want (with caution). I do have 1 problem, and I'm not sure if it's vfd related or vari speed related (in the head). When in high gear, If I don't turn the vari speed all the way up, I can grab the spindle with my hand and stall it. It has no torque. Drilling with a 3/8 bit through 1/8 steel stalls it. Also if I'm not at high speed, there is quite a bit of chatter/noise in the head. My buddy said it was rebuilt fairly recently before it came out of service though. But my vfd was set up by me, and I have no idea what I'm doing with that. (cheap chinese vfd with no instructions). I plan on buying a better one as I dropped this one and the case shattered. But it functions for now. Check out the pics and videos. Any comments, questions, advice is welcomed!

Attachments

• 20191002_105343.jpg
    20191002_105343.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20191002_112641.jpg
    20191002_112641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20191002_114135.jpg
    20191002_114135.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191002_133413.jpg
    20191002_133413.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191002_132700.jpg
    20191002_132700.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191002_125724.mp4
    35.9 MB
  • 20191002_125916.mp4
    38.9 MB
Great to hear you got it going.

Smallish ;)

So here's a small update. I have the Bridgeport strapped to a heavy duty pallet, and when I want to use it, I just pick it up with my skidsteer and drive it in my shop, then when I'm done, put it back in the shed. It's a totally unconventional way of owning a Bridgeport, but it works. We are expanding our atv shop, and adding 3200 sq ft, which will allow me to have a dedicated machine shop area (current shop is only 1200 sq ft). I also just bought a 15x50 turnmaster lathe that I'll be able to put in the new shop.

I'm brought the mill in several times, and have actually been been able to do a few jobs with it. Modifying intake flange bolt patterns to fit a different cylinder head was one. I have some interesting problems though. I think my Z axis motor is dying. If I take a cut with a facemill across a piece of steel, and leave the stock or stop my x axis feed, then move it, my z axis moves. Either up or down, no consistency. But it moves up or down 5-15 thou. It's odd, if I do a solid feed with x, the z doesn't move. But again, if I stop the feed, if moves, or leave the stock, and come back on, different height. Also, the z motor has a whiny screech when you put power to the cnc setup, so I'm sure it's dying.

Also, I'm sure I have problems in my head. (Bridgeport head). My head will always have problems. I can stall the spindle with a 0.050" depth of cut with pretty much any end mill. And the chatter and noise up top is horrible. When I have a solid spot for this thing to live, I'm going to break down the head and rebuild the whole thing.

My lathe is missing its chucks. Anyone have a D1-6 mount chuck they want to sell? I've priced new ones, but figured I'd check here before I buy one. Looking for a 3 jaw and 4 jaw.

Back