Looking for Kent lathe part

Seifdoggy2

Registered
Registered
I have a Kent 15-40 lathe. It is in wonderful condition except I need a part for it. I need the threaded block that the bolt threads into to lock the carriage. I have the bolt, but need the little locking block under the carriage.
I have looked for a long time and even contacted Kent, but they never got back to me. Does anyone know where there is a or site that has salvaged lathe parts for sale. Thanks Seifdoggy2

Doesn’t sound like a complicated part. From your introduction post it looks likes you have a mill.
Have you thought about making the part?

Most of us DIYers would fab up something - with older machines it's often the only way
It also gives an opportunity to improve on the factory design which is sometimes pretty marginal

I made a carriage lock fixing block for my lathe recently. It was a very simple mill project. Your clearances on that part between the mount point on underside of the saddle and the lower way surface will be fairly critical. You can adjust it with shims later if needed. Mine anchored with one bolt and clamped with the carriage lock bolt, so it needed to be slit-sawn to allow it to twist and lock as the carriage lock is tightened. That's probably specific to my lathe.

Honestly, this part could be made in a vise with a hacksaw, hand drill, and a file if it really came down to it. If you have a milling machine or know someone who can help you, it would be a 1-hour job with minimal tooling.

Just a random thought, did you look or poke a magnet into your carriage where the part goes, to see if someone pulled the bolt and had the part fall inside the apron? There's a chance.

Back