Looking for lathe and found a shaper!!

David

Active User
Registered
Thought I would share the photos of my new/old south-bend 7" shaper. I was going to look at a couple of lathes yesterday that a man was selling. I want to add a larger lathe but these were too big for what I wanted. Setting to the side and covered with stuff was the shaper. He said he would sell and we agreed to a very reasonable price. So I brought it home!!

I cleaned most all of the dirt, oil, grease off of the machine today. It looks to complete and cycles great. Missing a couple of knobs and needs fresh paint. Very little wear was found. A restoration will be in the near future.

I was very lucky to find this one!!

David

shaper,dallas equip bid 004.jpg shaper,dallas equip bid 005.jpg shaper,dallas equip bid 006.jpg

Wow! Nice find there. Looks to be in fine condition. Congrats.

-Ron

Nice catch, David. I think anyone who can find a shaper in near-working condition or better should grab it. But then, I'm kind of partial. In a production environment, CNC and heavy machines may be the way to go these days, but we're in this as a hobby. These machines are just plain fun. And they will do some jobs better than a mill.

Wish I could found one that easy, but i did finally round up a 8" Logan. I think you will very happy with that shaper.:biggrin:
Good catch.;)

Great find. The SB is a good small shaper. You should have no problem making a nice profit if it turns out you don't sse it. Looks like it is in great condition.

Joe

Good find, David. Joe has one over there, but he says his grandson wants it. He's like 12, so I'm not so sure what will really happen.

Nice score on the shaper, Now you can start making tooling for it.

Paul

Another lucky nice score, there all out west. Been up since 1 AM tracking the one on ebay and I lost by 5 sec cause
my computor is one step above two tin cans and a string.

Another lucky nice score, there all out west. Been up since 1 AM tracking the one on ebay and I lost by 5 sec cause
my computor is one step above two tin cans and a string.

When there is really something I want and I'm not going to be here or its late in the night I use one of the snipers. Now I've only used them once but I won both items.

Find the programs they give you a free week to see if-n you like it or not. The little bit I use one its not worth paying for. They will bit in the last 2 or 3 seconds.

Paul

Back