Looking for some help

Same here. But here, people are friendly, helpful, and answer questions no matter where a person is in their shop experience.

I have a hard enough time asking for help as it is
You shouldn't be shy. You've gotten a lot of good replies already. I expect that if you continue ask reasonable questions, you will continue to get useful replies.

You have at least four options in front of you. One is to carry on pursuing your homemade tap. Two is to get quotes for a "real" tap from a special tap supplier (Google "special taps"). Three is to start a new thread (in this Sub-Forum) asking if someone wants to make your parts.
Four is to get the change gears needed to cut 30 TPI on your lathe.

Actually, exercises like yours help other readers learn too. For instance, I saved the .pdf that John (@pontiac428 ) posted because it is such a clear and concise explanation of common tap geometry. If you hadn't started this thread, I might never have seen that .pdf.

One more issue about the thread you need to cut. In reply #3 you wrote that you need .645 diameter material to make your tap. How did you determine the .645 dimension? Did you measure the OD of the thread on an existing reloading die and find it to be .645 diameter? If not, what is the OD of the existing male thread you need to mate with?

Just for info

I did try to get a custom tap place to make me a couple.......they never came through

I also asked on this forum in another subforum for someome to make the tap for me, that didnt work out either......so I really do thank Mark and all of you that contributed.

Update, I can't thank this website or Mark enough for helping me.

Mark made me a couple of threaded tap blanks. I cut 4 flutes at a 7 degree angle and hardened it. Worked like a charm. I've done one adapter from scratch and rebored and threaded 3 others. I intend to make another 3-4 from scratch. I don't see any problems going forward.

You cannot find these lyman/Ideal adapters anywhere in these dimensions. They will allow me to use my larger lyman 310 dies in a regular reloading press versus spending hundreds on new dies. I was at a very frustrating standstill until this site and Mark came thru for me. Cant thank Mark and this site enough.

Attachments

• 20220922_083331.jpg
    20220922_083331.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220922_083314.jpg
    20220922_083314.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 12
What a great thread! (if you groaned it was a good pun).

This is pretty cool. I'm realizing now that I could grind the relief on the back side of the cutting edges on my D-Bit grinder. So I could actually create a pretty good / properly shaped blank and then thread it on my lathe. I can make just about any odd ball tap I might need.

Thanks!

Yah, any thread your lathe will cut

Who cares bout the pun if you get to accomplish what you wish. My theory is that nothing is impossible. I left another forum because other responders were always discouraging folks from following their dreams you know the old " what ya wanna do that for kid, youll shoot your eye out" comments. Where would we be as a people if we listened to all the folks that say......that cant be done or what you wanna do that for.

Thanks all!!

Back