Looking to install the DYI DRO on my Grizzly mini-mill

protolancer

Registered
Registered
Hi guys. Just joined because of this sub-forum. I've been looking for a DRO for my old Grizzly. I converted the metric lead screws that came with it originally for imperial lead screws. I was about to get rid of it and get a more modern mill with a DRO but the $$$$$'s kept me from pulling the trigger. I found out about this site and subforum from the model railroad forum I'm on. A member there posted a link to this site. After spending a week surfing around here I joined in in hopes of finally adding some DRO's to the mill. I believe I've come to the right spot.

A few minutes ago I downloaded the "TouchDRO" app on an old Kindle I had laying around for a few years. Loaded fine. Next I will be getting one of Ycroosh's kits. I'm a bit confused though since "DRO Adapter for Glass and Magnetic Scales V2" is available but the "DIY DRO Adapter Kit" is temporarily out of stock. Both look alike. What is the difference between the two kits? Will the DYI kit be available sometime? Looking forward to purchasing either one.

Thanks.
Bernd

Bernd,
The two are not the same. DRO Adapter for Glass and Magnetic Scales V2 is a fully assembled board that is purpose built for optical and magnetic scales. It's basically an industrial-grade device. It's built in ISO9000 factory to IPC-A-610 Class II standard using components rated for this application. The input stage is faster and more robust. The adapter supports differential scales and limit switches, and is overall faster.
The kit can read optical/magnetic DRO scales, albeit a bit slower. It comes as a bare PCB and a bag of parts. The parts are consumer-grade, and the final result will be as good as you can put it together.

One is designed to be good, and the other is designed to be inexpensive.
The kit will be back in stock some time in August (this is fire #3 on my "TODO" list, and I haven't event gotten to #2 yet).

Here is a superficial feature comparison: https://www.touchdro.com/resources/adapters/32-bit/feature-comparison.html

Hope this helps
Regards
Yuriy

Hi Yuriy,

Thanks for the quick comeback. Much appreciated. Helps very much.

As far as doing a kit I would have no problems. Have assembled many a Heathkit's in my time and am very capable of doing electronic soldering. The V2 will be the way for me to go. The cost for that unit seems very reasonable to me. So, look for an order from me in the next day or so.

What magnetic scales would you recommend? I would have no problem getting lengths a bit longer than needed and cutting to length for what I would need. Much easier to place a scale a bit longer to where you want to mount it and cut it to length.

Thanks,
Bernd

Bernd,
There is a sticky thread DRO Scale Recommendations (for TouchDRO, and other DROs).
Regards
Yuriy
Yuiry,

Read and understand. Since I'm not doing production work on the mill, don't run any coolant, use only non-ferrous metals, plastics and occasionally ferrous metals I see no problem with chips causing any problems. I'm looking at using DRO Pro magnetic scales. Ordering longer than needed and then cut to size. Easier to do than to try and measure and have them cut to size. In my opinion.

Look for an order from me for the V2 Wi-Fi adapter for the magnetic scales. I see when I click on the "buy" button it comes up as "for glass scales". Wil it work with the magnetic scales?

Thanks,
Bernd

Yuiry,

Read and understand. Since I'm not doing production work on the mill, don't run any coolant, use only non-ferrous metals, plastics and occasionally ferrous metals I see no problem with chips causing any problems. I'm looking at using DRO Pro magnetic scales. Ordering longer than needed and then cut to size. Easier to do than to try and measure and have them cut to size. In my opinion.

Look for an order from me for the V2 Wi-Fi adapter for the magnetic scales. I see when I click on the "buy" button it comes up as "for glass scales". Wil it work with the magnetic scales?

Thanks,
Bernd
Bernd,
Optical (glass) and magnetic scales output the same signal, so they are 100% compatible.
Regards
Yuriy

Back