Loose pulley on SB 9"

JW714

Active User
Registered
Hi all, The pulleys have some play on my spindle. I can rock the pulleys if I hold the chuck steady. Is there a way to tighten this or is it "normal". Thanks...JW714
MachineShop009.jpg

I have a flat pulley setup on mine and they do not move, but check for a set screw on the pulley to lock it to the spindle, this would be my best guess for now. It looks like it has been taken apart lately and painted. Maybe something is missing to lock it in place.
Paul

Hi Paul, Yes I took it apart for cleaning and paint but I did not remove the spindle. There is only one screw in the pulley cone and it's marked "OIL". I have removed the screw and dripped oil in the hole. Looking at an exploded view of a 10 it looks like a key is in the spindle ,but I'm not aware of any set screw to tighten.It seems to make a knocking sound when running,which I think is from the play in the pulley to spindle fit....Anybody have anything else?...Thanks, JW714
MachineShop010.jpg

Maybe the key in the pulley and spindle is partially sheared causing it to wobble or maybe a loose fit on the key. Just throwing things out there. It would be a good idea to remove the spindle to find out what's wrong before it gets worse. Look in the downloads for a diagram if you have not done so yet.
Paul

There should be almost no play between the pulley and spindle and there is NO KEY or set screw. The bull gear which is keyed and press fit to the spindle is driven by the pulley in direct drive mode (pin between bull gear and pulley engaged). The pulley only rotates on the spindle in back gear mode. I would take it apart, its no big deal.

This is my SB9A spindle apart, which yours should be similar, except for the pulley. The bull gear is keyed to the shaft. I did not take a pic of the bull gear yet, but it is the one with the pin in it. I hope this helps. Some spindles lift up and others drive out like mine, don't know which one you have. Check downloads for spindle removable.
Paul

Re: Loose pulley on SB 9

Jim B. link=topic=2105.msg14032#msg14032 date=1305335423 said:
The last thing you should do EVER is to start up a SB workshop 9 without first pulling the spindle and checking the condition of the felts and springs. I have seen many spindles scored this way and I have runed mine in my own ignorance.

Jim B.

I was so paranoid about it that I had it apart 1/2 hour after unloading it in the garage. Before reinstalling your spindle and to ensure your oil system is working, install the felts and springs and make sure when you depress the felt that is bounces back up a little to contact the spindle, fill the resevoirs with oil and wait a few mins. The oil should wick up and saturate the felt. Don't forget to insert a pin (small allen key works well) to hold down the felts before inserting the spindle. Further evidence of a working oil system will be indicated by a a few drops of oil leaking from the headstock bearings. Mine leaks roughly at the rate of 3-4 drops/ running hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You all for the replies. Now I understand how it works. I'll look at it today and when I get some time I'm pulling my spindle and checking my oiling system.Again thanks for the help this is a great forum....John W

Back