M-Head Decisions

Oh you wouldn't be approaching red heat- nowhere near. Just enough to soften the steel somewhat compared to ambient
Propane torch for 15-20 seconds or so

May I suggest drilling the hole oversize and installing a thread insert square to the mating surface. There all several to choose from depending on the application.
All are designed to take the forces that the original thread was designed for.

I have a Causing 8511 with an M-head B&S #7. They are a little unusual as there isn't a right side table handle. My best guess it was a price point compromise.

I was ignorant and taken a little advantage of, it came with a Hitachi 3hp 3ph 56 frame on a poorly made angle plate adapter. In my ignorance I didn't think to just remove the motor or the head and paid for another lesson that resulted in a broken belt housing. The eBay replacement housing had been repaired and the stud isn't square with the housing. The replacement "Maybe it will be OK" metric motor shaft isn't and the step key for the pulley I had to make is getting worse (better??) at working it's way out.

So it's time to bite the bullet and do something about the motor.

Along the way I picked up another M-head, also B&S #7. I suspect it may have been one of the precision drill heads because it was being used as a drill press and the housing is taller with one more step in the pulley than my M-head. It also came with the original 1ph motor with a really heavy close tolerance cast iron integral base. Getting it on the belt housing isn't fun. And it won't go over the out of square stud on my belt housing.

I just hate the thought of grinding up the motor base, as easy of a fix as it would be. I'm not doing a good job convincing myself otherwise.

I can go through the spindle it came with, and just replace what I know works well M-head and hope. Being used as a drill press hopefully means it never saw any lateral forces and may be fine.

Or I can try again with a replacement motor. Finding one with the shaft length needed didn't go well last time, I'm not holding my breath this time will be any easier.

Thoughts on my rambling "Can't make up my mind?/ I'm still ignorant of a lot of things and am tired of expensive lesson."

I honestly don't care if the motor is 1 or 3ph. I figure people did good work with the pulleys, not going to get wrapped up about it. I have a RPC to live with the pulleys or I have a VFD if I decide to go that route.

Thoughts? And a last question. I have an original housing gasket and some bearings, purchased when H&W closed out their M-head parts. For proper oil flow, can someone tell me how the gasket is oriented? If there are oil flow holes in addition to the bolt holes, I'm not seeing them. I drip enough oil I known some is passing, but I've always had a nagging fear it's not as much as it should be.

And for what it's worth, I have figured out a simple jig and technique for getting the counter balance spring back in the well.
I am currently in a similar situation with my Rockwell 21-100 mill 1 hp 1 ph motor with 5/8 dia. x 4” long shaft having let the smoke out, (from age). Housing is cracked and had been repaired by adding reinforcements bolted in. I have a couple of new 3 ph 2 hp 7/8 x 2 3/4 shaft motors that were given to me that are pretty close to size and weight of the original. Removed the shaft and end housing to cut 3/4” length off the shaft and face & make a locating diameter on housing. Made a shaft reducer / lengthener, (see pic). Still need to make an adapter bushing to raise the motor an additional 1/2 inch and locate in the original base plate and add a plate to attach to the motor mounting plate for anti-rotation. Looking forward to having variable speed on the Rockwell in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_3498.jpeg
    IMG_3498.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
May I suggest drilling the hole oversize and installing a thread insert square to the mating surface. There all several to choose from depending on the application.
All are designed to take the forces that the original thread was designed for.
Thanks! I do like the idea of dealing with the bad repair than adjusting good parts to fix bad.

I am currently in a similar situation with my Rockwell 21-100 mill 1 hp 1 ph motor with 5/8 dia. x 4” long shaft having let the smoke out, (from age). Housing is cracked and had been repaired by adding reinforcements bolted in. I have a couple of new 3 ph 2 hp 7/8 x 2 3/4 shaft motors that were given to me that are pretty close to size and weight of the original. Removed the shaft and end housing to cut 3/4” length off the shaft and face & make a locating diameter on housing. Made a shaft reducer / lengthener, (see pic). Still need to make an adapter bushing to raise the motor an additional 1/2 inch and locate in the original base plate and add a plate to attach to the motor mounting plate for anti-rotation. Looking forward to having variable speed on the Rockwell in the basement.
Never just straight forward, is it?

Back