Machining a planetary gear set

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, I have a little project I need some advice on. Building a 4L80E transmission and doing some modifications. The plan is to put a Torrington bearing where a plastic thrust washer used to be. I would love some input on tooling and setup. Should I use carbide or hss? 3 jaw or 4 jaw. I’m new to machining so any tips you can give are welcome. Here are a few pictures of the carrier assemble and the bearing. The specs are going to be .075 deep and .370 wide if that helps. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 13
Imo this is a job that needs to be ground.

ETA: the .070 deep is how much more Clarence needed for the thicker Torrington or the total depth?

Either way it needs to be perfectly parallel to whatever the basket rides in/on.

It’s gonna all be in the setup and tooling. Triple double check alignment. Boring head and I would start with carbide you might get away with hss depending on hardness.

Imo this is a job that needs to be ground.

ETA: the .070 deep is how much more Clarence needed for the thicker Torrington or the total depth?

Either way it needs to be perfectly parallel to whatever the basket rides in/on.
Yes sir, .070 is my depth. I wish I could say I have access to a surface grinder but I can’t. The carrier is actually pretty soft. The rivets are where the trouble lies. I will need to get into those just slightly

It’s gonna all be in the setup and tooling. Triple double check alignment. Boring head and I would start with carbide you might get away with hss depending on hardness.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. The rivets are gonna pose the biggest challenge. Will need to just barely hit those to clear the bearing. The carrier itself is actually pretty soft. I do appreciate the expertise. Thanks

Back