Machining Hand Planes/ Drawings Or Any Help?

I started out by dovetailing the planes. I have since changed to rivets or screws. For riveting I milled a row of tenons into the base and then peined them over the sides. For the screws; tap the base put a small countersink on the sides, locktite the screws and mill the heads of the screws off. Look at Karl Holtey's plane web page and blogs. The dovetails create a lot of stress and are hard to keep square and alignment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find an image of a plane that looks nice and then try to copy it. Brian Buckner has drawings of a smoothing plane that you can see how they are made and then you can modify to your liking. Woodsmith has plans for a block plane for free download. Handplane.com has a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have thought about making a bench plane.

I thought I would make it easier for the prototype by machining the sole of a badly made Stanley-Bailey knock off.

This is how it looked before machining

Plane_sole_No-5_before_machining_right_3611.jpg

This is how it looked after machining.

Plane_sole_No-5_after_machining_right_3612.jpg

This is as far as I got. Many other project distractions.

The thought was to make a wooden infill. I got some thick steel for the cap iron.

For a prototype/first attempt, using a cast sole can save a lot of time.

I have done many vintage plane restorations, just not made my own plane - yet. I am interested in your progress.

I have considerd using channel iron with wooden.infills. Never done it, bit have thought about it many times

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I am thinking about machining the sole from cast iron. Your idea of using channel iron could eliminate some machining and cost, if you can find it with sufficient thickness.

I have built around a dozen infills (like what john posted above). I have done some blocks, shoulders, and small smoothers, with some others on the slate for next year. I either do peened through rivets or screwed construction. All of mine have been made without a milling machine, really. The first few were shoulder planes made with a hack saw, belt sander, and drill press. It's totally doable. I like to make my drawings in something like inkscape. I will either design from scratch or work from someone else's design.

Also, I have done an infill from an old cast iron base. It works ok and looks nice. However, I would rather do the extra work instead of using channel iron because machining the mouth needs to be done right in order to have a successful plane.

Thanks for sharing. I'd like to make a block plane.....looking for a drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back