Machining revolver barrels

Cavallino

Registered
Registered
I'm setting up to machine my first revolver barrels and in research have seen a few ways to setup, between centers and just using the 4 jaw and others using double ended spider jigs, so can anyone that machines these barrels regularly (either whole barrel blanks or just to set back one turn) care to share their methods?

Depends on what operation you are doing. Turning a taper or profiling is done between centers or in the four jaw. If you want to cut the forcing cone or crown without marring the finish, a spider is in order. Once you've profiles the OD, gripping it in the chuck becomes tricky. I usually try to thread and set the BC gap before I taper. That way you can zero it up in a 4 jaw and not worry about the finish (yet). Clear as mud? Seriously, I hope it helps.

Here's a project before contouring the barrel I elected to go octagon on this one.

100_1321.jpg

Here it is attached after the profile.

100_1394.jpg

And finally after test firing.

100_1995.jpg

By machining the OD last, I didn't have to be as careful about handling the barrel.

100_1321.jpg 100_1394.jpg 100_1995.jpg

That is an awsome looking barrel, nice piece of work.

So you would indicate in using the 4 jaw, cut threads and tennon length, cut for center, flip the barrel around and indicate in then cut a center in the muzzle, then put between centers and profile.
Then into a spider and indicate in, then cut forcing cone and reverse and indicate and cut crown.
Does this sound right or too many steps?

What method or tools do you use to indicate in the barrel and would you cut centers with a piloted center reamer or a sharp tool bit?

Thank you. The camera hides a few boo boos.

When macining, I try to make all the cuts I can with one set-up. I would cut and thread, screw the frame on while the barrel is still set up and check the barrel/cylinder gap. Once I had that right, I would cut the forcing cone. Then flip and do muzzle work. Indicate on the bore using pin gauges if you have them. If not, turn a tightly fitting plug for the bore and indicate on this. Making center cuts (60* for centers) isn't really necessary as long as the faces are perpendicular to the bore.
Please post lots of photos of your work.

Back