[How do I?] Machinist Cube Question.

MarshallC

Registered
Registered
I have been working on some machinist cubes (aka turners cubes). My first one came out awesome! It was 2.930" diameter and had 5 cubes. It is off being powder coated. I started another one that is 2.100" with 7 total cubes but the inner cubes sides blew out. I have revised my math and instead of changing an even amount each time I am now reducing the bore sizes by 14.28 percent. I finished one side with the new math but won't be able to see how it looks till I complete another adjacent side.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has ever done these and if so would you share your math? I am doing the cube manually on a lathe.

Pictures to follow as soon as I can take them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have been working on some machinist cubes (aka turners cubes). My first one came out awesome! It was 2.930" diameter and had 5 cubes. It is off being powder coated. I started another one that is 2.100" with 7 total cubes but the inner cubes sides blew out. I have revised my math and instead of changing an even amount each time I am now reducing the bore sizes by 14.28 percent. I finished one side with the new math but won't be able to see how it looks till I complete another adjacent side.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has ever done these and if so would you share your math? I am doing the cube manually on a lathe.

Pictures to follow as soon as I can take them.

May I turn your request around? While you are waiting for a response, could share/post your math for rookies like me to learn from?

I'll jump on the laptop here in a bit and write up a tutorial on how to make one. Too much to type on the phone : )

Sorry this has taken so long. I have sat down and came up with a solid plan for a 2" x 2" x 2" cube with 7 total cubes.

Cube Diameter_|_Bore Diameter_|_Bore Radius_|___Depth_|_Corner to Corner_|
_____2.000"_|______1.800"_|______.900"_|____.143"_|_____________|
______1.714"_|______1.514"_|______.757"_|____.286"_|_______2.4255"_|
______1.428"_|_____1.228"_|______.614"_|____.429"_|_______2.0225"_|
______1.142"_|______.942"_|______.471"_|____.572"_|_______1.6195"_|
______.856"_|_______.656"_|_____.328"_|____.715"_|________1.2165"_|
______.570"_|_______.370"_|_____.185"_|____.858"_|_________.813"_|
______.284"_|____________|_________|_________|________.4105"_|

These measurements will produce 7 total cubes with the center cube being solid.

If you want the cubes to be free from each other then an undercut that is larger than the corner to corner distance of the cube contained with in it must be completed.

turners cube 2x2x2 7.png

Last edited:
Just looked at my last post on my phone and it doesn't display the measurements table right. If anyone would like them just send me a pm.

Back