Machinist jack

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Some of you may remember the 20' section of mystery metal that I picked up at the local metal junk yard.

20220203_172931_copy_1134x2016.jpg

Decided to make something useful and make a pair of machinist jacks. As I was told a long time ago it probably won't turn very nice and that is true. I tried carbide inserts and HSS bits (ones I ground so that doesn't mean much). High speed and deep cuts with carbide inserts work the best most the time. There was one section that I was turning was like two different kinds of metal. After a couple of passes it cleared up. Anyway, with a little file work and emery cloth polishing it looks pretty good.

20220814_172136_copy_2016x1134.jpg

With all of the help I received from this forum I have learned a lot. The first thing was how to draw the V grove in the top in Fusion 360 to actually cutting the V grove later on. Then came the boring and internal threading, that was challenging at times but no real catastrophes. There were several guys mentioned I needed to be more consistence with my cuts and that was probably the biggest thing and help. Once I started taking cuts of the same amount each time things just started coming together. And another tip that helped was to slow down when threading especially when threading internally.

Here is the finished product.

20220816_175308_copy_1134x2016.jpg

20220816_175444_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Some of you may remember the 20' section of mystery metal that I picked up at the local metal junk yard.

View attachment 417435

Decided to make something useful and make a pair of machinist jacks. As I was told a long time ago it probably won't turn very nice and that is true. I tried carbide inserts and HSS bits (ones I ground so that doesn't mean much). High speed and deep cuts with carbide inserts work the best most the time. There was one section that I was turning was like two different kinds of metal. After a couple of passes it cleared up. Anyway, with a little file work and emery cloth polishing it looks pretty good.

View attachment 417437

With all of the help I received from this forum I have learned a lot. The first thing was how to draw the V grove in the top in Fusion 360 to actually cutting the V grove later on. Then came the boring and internal threading, that was challenging at times but no real catastrophes. There were several guys mentioned I needed to be more consistence with my cuts and that was probably the biggest thing and help. Once I started taking cuts of the same amount each time things just started coming together. And another tip that helped was to slow down when threading especially when threading internally.

Here is the finished product.

View attachment 417438

View attachment 417439
What does the other side of the piece on the left look like? I presume it is internally threaded? I need to make something like this. Is the idea the top piece can spin relative to the screw? What is the purpose of the semi-closed bottom? Pardon my simple questions, never looked at one of these up close.

What does the other side of the piece on the left look like? I presume it is internally threaded?
Yes, you are right.
20220817_214815_copy_1100x1313.jpg

I need to make something like this. Is the idea the top piece can spin relative to the screw?
Yes
What is the purpose of the semi-closed bottom?
Well, I was thinking I would make a spacer block that would register in section. Maybe in the next few days I'll get that made and post more photos. I also turned a larger section in the screw to accommodate the head of a cap screw. I don't know if it is needed but it will allow me to screw it to the milling table with a T-Nut.

20220817_214059_copy_1514x1020.jpg

20220817_213913_copy_977x1336.jpg
Pardon my simple questions, never looked at one of these up close.

No problem, thanks for looking and asking.

Back