Made a jewellry box for the wife

Ed.

Active User
Registered
Hi, I made a similar box for myself a while ago to house my straight razor collection of mine and the misses said she also wanted one like it to hold her jewellry. So here it is, it is made from a log of Southern Silky Oak I had, so after slabbing it, resawing the slabs and thicknessing it, then letting it dry, it finally became time to do it.

The box has three black velvet lined drawers with Aluminium handles and a piece of granite cut to size and edge bevelled for the top, the granite is rebated into the top and glued in with epoxy.
The top drawer is for rings, it has a rubber base glued to the bottom of the trays and with 4 x plywood slats glued over the top of the rubber and the velvet glued over the top of them and also pushed in between the slats, so when the rings get pushed into the gap between the slats the rubber gets streched a little and holds the rings in place.
The middle tray has a similar rubber base but with 6 larger gaps for the chains to rest in and the lower tray has two layers of rubber with the top one having round recesses for the bangles to sit in, the velvet is glued down in the holes as well.

Unfortunately no pics of inside of the drawers as it lined in black velvet so details are very hard to see even with the naked eye and since the misses has already put her jewelry in it she doesn't want images of those shown on the web for obvious reasons.

Box is coated with Cabots interior/exterior clear gloss polyurethane.

Cheers

Ed.

1. Box Front 150852.jpg 2. Box Back 150926.jpg 3. Side  150913.jpg

Wow that's serious! Modern looking and beautiful! Wow

Bernie

Nice work! What did you use to bevel the granite? /Robin

Nice work! What did you use to bevel the granite? /Robin

Thank you, after cutting the granite with a continuous rim 9" diamond blade, I use a diamond cup to do the bevel, followed by a series of 50-3000 grit diamond impregnated rubber pads, they are loop backed and fit on a rubber pad on a 7" sander polisher.

To mimimise this procedure you can always get 1/2" shaft diamond router bits to fit on a wood router and there are also similar diamond bits that fit on a angle grinder, these will cut the bevel and even out the edge in one pass, unfortunately I do not have these, but thinking about getting a few as it would simplify the procedure as I soon have quite a few pavers to do out of other slabs I have. These bits are available in course and fine, with various profiles and the bevel would still need a touch up with the higher grit pads only, but would save a lot of time.

Cheers

Ed.

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of slabs of granite that I will have to experiment on./Robin

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of slabs of granite that I will have to experiment on./Robin

Hi Robin, no problem, just a couple of hints that I have found, make sure that the slab and the off cut is fully supported and that where you make the cut, there is a piece of scrap timber underneath that you can cut onto and not through, this will help the granite not to crack off and lastly, that when I cut a slab I make sure that I do a cut right through at each end for several inches before I made the the main cut, then a slight cut along the cutting line before doing the main cut. This helps to make sure that the ends or the top surface doesn't crack or chip off. If there are any chips they will be on the underneath side, away from the edge where usually you can't see them.

Cheers

Ed.

Back