Made a second boat anchor today.

Ed.

Active User
Registered
Made another anchor today, as a spare in case the first one gets snagged or I get caught in a storm and need a bit more holding power, again made out of 8mm 316 plate and a 50mm x 16mm shank with a 19mm round bar for the top of the flukes, I TIG'd the bushes on to the shaft then reamed it out to make it the right size, drilled a small hole in the end of the shaft so that I can push grease in to it later on, the rest of it was MIG welded using 316sli wire.

My welds aren't as good as I would have liked them as it bucketed rain here today and with the sudden temperature drop the hood lens kept fogging up, so I had to wing it for most of the welds, hate it when I can't see the weld pool. There were larger than I wanted them to be. Anyway they should hold.

So now that completes the anchoring gear and next job is to work on the electric winch setup, some more boat cleats, and 2 seat bases.

Cheers

Ed.

Parts cut out IMG_0704.jpg flukes welded IMG_0717.jpg bush grease hole IMG_0719.jpg completed anchor IMG_0714.jpg Both anchors IMG_0720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those welds still aren't up to your usual standard Ed but there still better than most of mine! ::thumbzup::

Last edited:
I thought when you said you made a boat anchor you had screwed up something and it was only good as a boat anchor!

You really DID make a boat anchor!!

Very nice!!!

sic semper said:
I thought when you said you made a boat anchor you had screwed up something and it was only good as a boat anchor!

You really DID make a boat anchor!!

Very nice!!!

Classic, I like it!

Another top effort Ed!

I only wish i had the shed time you seem to be getting!

Thanks fellas, as to regarding shed time, that's what happens when you retire, you end up being so busy doing stuff you wonder how you ever had time to go to work before you retired!

That has been my dad's experience as well. I know he is way busier than I am with projects. Not sure how he does it!!!

Thanks Guys, here are some pics of the boat it's going in, the boat has had a name change , also the new trailer and duckboard I made for it.

Cheers.

Ed.

2 Scarab side sml IMG_0476.jpg 1 Scarab Front sml IMG_0474.jpg 11 Duckboard on back of boat  sml IMG_0514.jpg 1 Boat trailer 1 front IMG_0684.jpg 4 Boat trailer walkway IMG_0686.jpg 3 Boat trailer breakaway setup IMG_0685.jpg

Thanks guys,

I am not sure about the hours as I don't work on it every day and only a few hours some days, and none on others, so it just seems like forever, but I started it about 8 to 12 weeks ago. If I put in 8 hours a day, each and every day and if I knew what I was doing, , it would/should take no more than 2 weeks.

I had never made a trailer that big or with breakaway hydraulic breaks and so I took a long time to work it all out and to make sure it would work the way I thought it should. Had to make quite a few modifications along the way. Painting it was a real pain, the RHS is out of Galvinized steel so I gave it an additional two coats of cold galv paint, then two coats of epoxy enamel over the top of that. I can honestly say that painting is not one of my skills. ;D but that extra paint should help prevent it from rusting.

;0

Ed.

Back