Made something new with Fusion 360 and my PM-940CNC

Rickwjenn

Registered
Registered
So I have been thinking about making some custom billet parts for my 67 Camaro RS/SS 396 and my dad's '58 Chevy truck w/SBC 350. I wanted to be able to put custom touches on a fender bracket, radiator mount, etc.

I have already made some nice 2D and 3D parts on my PM-940CNC using Fusion 360 but know I am only using about 5% of what this tool can do...

Took a couple of more Fusion 360 courses on Pluralsight.com (I use it for my technology consulting business www.ctoteammate.com) and learned some new features:

• Take any string of text
  • Take any shape, picture or outline
  • Put it all in a .png or .jpg file
  • Convert it to .svg (scaleable vector graphics)
  • Import into Fusion 360
  • Use the 3D milling feature to "project it" on any 3D surface
  • Drop the cutter depth say 0.005" below surface to "engrave" it

Made a simple aluminum paper weight in Fusion 360 and generated the tool path:

Fusion_360_Screen_Shot.PNG

First face milled some 3" wide alum 6061 stock...

... then used a 1/32" mini end mill (think about that size) and only broke one!

After 59 mins of run time at 1 inch per minute cutting speed, here is the end result:

Paper_Weight.jpg

I can now take any text, logo, and or drawing outline and mill it. Now it is time for some custom billet parts.

Next up I am taking some training on the 4 axis milling so I can do some cool two sided and complex curves.

That is awesome. I'm loving Fusion also. Now, I just need a CNC mill.

Fusion is an amazing tool. I find it non-intuitive and have to push myself to learn its unique User Interface but it is worth the effort. When I watched skilled Fusion power users, it is stunning how fast they can go from sketch mode, to 3d solid model, to CAM tool path.

How do you find the Pluralsight courses vs. something like Lars Christenson on YouTube which I use extensively for the learning process for Fusion 360?

The Pluralsight courses are far better in my opinion.

On any topic (software engineering, databases, Fusion Design or CAM, etc.) the classes are 1) via a learning management system, 2) each course having a table of contents you can move around in, 3) a written transcript of the narrative, 4) exercises/examples AND 5) you can play the course at up to 2X normal speed.

You can also download the courses and play them w/o internet connection which I do when on long plane flights.

Youtube is not even close for me anyway - just a video......

You can take all the classes on any topic you want for $29 a month. I have been using int for years and roll it out in many of the companies I work with. Highly recommend it.

Thank you for the information. That sounds like a good deal. I will definitely give it due consideration.

Try using a #1 carbide center drill for engraving. You can engrave a lot faster with one.

Back