Magnetic chuck

Use this chuck as-is until you get the skills to make it better, or sell it off when you find a better one. Doesn't matter much until you get a surface grinder anyway I think.
You (@mac1911 ) can get a magnetic chuck for around 140$ if that is useful for you - one day, probably very soon, you can fix this one. There are several tricky aspects to building a mag chuck, like measuring the throw of the cam, or the correct length of the throw arm...

In the video referenced above, he had to remake the throw arm again, and took it apart and completely rebuilt it 3 times. Dale has been a pretty advanced machinist for more than a decade. I think you got a great deal and soon you can make it more useful. If that is your strong interest, and you don't need it soon, you ca start right away. You will need a good lathe with 4 and 3 jaw chucks and a drill press, and a belt sander, minimum.

BTW, magnetic chucks are the cats meow for cleaning the dross off of plasma cut parts!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
I have been using it on small awkward shaped parts that are hard to set un in a vice. I have found other “holding” applications other than for use on a surface grinder.

I would love to take classes if they offer them around here. Seems most machining programs are aimed at getting apprentice CNC workers out the door and into industry.

I previously owned a shop and have worked on cars most of my life. I'm gonna bet you have fallen down the rabbit hole my friend. You've realized that the tool you have is limited and soon you'll start wanting better, more, etc. My advise would be to get the most from the lathe portion of your Smithy. keep your garage clean, save some benjamins and you'll eventually be presented with another deal you can't pass up. Having worked with the Smithy will give you the skills to evaluate the next purchase.

Use this chuck as-is until you get the skills to make it better, or sell it off when you find a better one. Doesn't matter much until you get a surface grinder anyway I think.

Cheers,

John
With 3 kids approaching college age theres no Benji’s left to save!
Anything I acquire for “machine work” will have to be free.
A added hassle us my lathe is in. Shed 200’ from the house with no power. So I only get a few comfortable weeks to get use out of the lathe. Plus running the Gen just adds to the limitations

Bit off topic but managed to get a few things completed with it last year. For what ever reason I cant post pics?
All some what “simple” stuff
A handle for my bearing/race seater
A LH threaded eye bolt for the lathe belt tensioners.
Chicago bolt and adapter for the QC tool post, a shaft for my snow blower. And repaired a butchered shaft/bearing assembly on the carriage.
Both brass nuts cross and carriage half nut are very worn.
$100 each from smithy shipped.
So I will have to live with the excessive back lash.

Last edited:
With 3 kids approaching college age theres no Benji’s left to save!
Anything I acquire for “machine work” will have to be free.
A added hassle us my lathe is in. Shed 200’ from the house with no power. So I only get a few comfortable weeks to get use out of the lathe. Plus running the Gen just adds to the limitations
You may find stuff free, or nearly so. But, is there no way to run power to the shed? 200’ isn’t that far and your machine is 110v right? If you can change it to 220v and run from the house that would be ideal.

As stated above, machining is about making the best with what you have. You can find ways to improve your machine that won’t cost hundreds. Keep an eye on eBay for parts, adjust whatever you can and figure out ways to make the stuff you need.

Doesn’t always have to be machine tools either. Hack saws and files are very effective and cost almost nothing.

The only limits are imagination and ingenuity.

Congrats on the kids pursing education, nothing is more important than raising good humans that want to make the world a better place.
John

You may find stuff free, or nearly so. But, is there no way to run power to the shed? 200’ isn’t that far and your machine is 110v right? If you can change it to 220v and run from the house that would be ideal.

As stated above, machining is about making the best with what you have. You can find ways to improve your machine that won’t cost hundreds. Keep an eye on eBay for parts, adjust whatever you can and figure out ways to make the stuff you need.

Doesn’t always have to be machine tools either. Hack saws and files are very effective and cost almost nothing.

The only limits are imagination and ingenuity.

Congrats on the kids pursing education, nothing is more important than raising good humans that want to make the world a better place.
John
Getting power to the shed is not hard. Its the lack of funds for such things.
1. My wife is so afraid of anything happening with any thing electrical and wants a licensed electrician for anything in fears the Insurance wont cover anything If something where to go wrong.
I dont know exactly what gauge I need but 2 gauge aluminum direct burry is close to $500 for 250’

If it's an extension cord it doesn't need to be run by an electrician. You should probably be able to get away with a 10 or 12 gauge cord which will cost as little as $100.

Smithy advertises your model at 2hp but I'd be surprised if you ever pulled more than 8 or 10 amps. Get a cord reel or coil it up neat every time and your wife should be okay. Add an LED light and you should be able to work in peace. I'd hate to have to run a generator for something like this but if you already own it then of course it's just fuel, oil and maintenance.

This is just my thoughts on the matter, you should only do whatever you think is right and feel safe with, but if you're plugging an extension cord into a circuit breaker protected outlet the breaker should pop if you overload it.

John

If it's an extension cord it doesn't need to be run by an electrician. You should probably be able to get away with a 10 or 12 gauge cord which will cost as little as $100.

Smithy advertises your model at 2hp but I'd be surprised if you ever pulled more than 8 or 10 amps. Get a cord reel or coil it up neat every time and your wife should be okay. Add an LED light and you should be able to work in peace. I'd hate to have to run a generator for something like this but if you already own it then of course it's just fuel, oil and maintenance.

This is just my thoughts on the matter, you should only do whatever you think is right and feel safe with, but if you're plugging an extension cord into a circuit breaker protected outlet the breaker should pop if you overload it.

John
Thanks for the link.

@mac1911 You can buy a roll of 8gauge stranded outdoor wire (designed for making extension cords) at a wholesaler for about 40% of what a big box store will charge you. Get some quality ends and make your 200' extension cord out of that. Your losses will be less than a 10 or 12 gauge, but a 10 gauge will get you over the hump.

Added bonus, you are buying about a 250' spool of wiire, whcich can serve as your storage spool when you have to pack it up!

@mac1911 You can buy a roll of 8gauge stranded outdoor wire (designed for making extension cords) at a wholesaler for about 40% of what a big box store will charge you. Get some quality ends and make your 200' extension cord out of that. Your losses will be less than a 10 or 12 gauge, but a 10 gauge will get you over the hump.

Added bonus, you are buying about a 250' spool of wiire, whcich can serve as your storage spool when you have to pack it up!
Thank you for that

Back