Magnetic Lathe Chuck

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, I’m new to machining in general and I’m needing advice on a magnetic lath chuck for my 12 x 36 Enco lathe. I have several automatic transmission clutch backing plates I need to machine and it appears this would be the best way to hold the work. Correct me if I’m wrong. I figured maybe some of you guys had been down this road and could guide me. Thanks in advance

First, let me say that I am not familiar with the work you want to do, but those "automatic transmission clutch backing plates" sound like an item where flatness and parallelism would be critical. What I'm envisioning is that if the "plate" had any warpage, the magnetic chuck would want to straighten out that warpage. Then after machining and releasing the part from the chuck the warpage would return. Just food for thought.
Ted

I would look for a grinder to do that type of work. A magnetic chuck on a lathe would be marginal for turning. A ground surface would be better suited than a turned surface.

I would look for a grinder to do that type of work. A magnetic chuck on a lathe would be marginal for turning. A ground surface would be better suited than a turned surface.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Have been on the hunt for a surface grinder but it’s not going so well. Makes sense also about the magnet scewing my flatness. I appreciate the input

Manual transmission flywheels (clutch presses against these) are generally Blanchard ground. My mechanic told me he pays $40 each, or less if he sends several in at the same time. Not sure about auto trans clutch backing plate, but I assume they are similar.

Manual transmission flywheels (clutch presses against these) are generally Blanchard ground. My mechanic told me he pays $40 each, or less if he sends several in at the same time. Not sure about auto trans clutch backing plate, but I assume they are similar.
Not even close.

Hi, I’m new to machining in general and I’m needing advice on a magnetic lath chuck for my 12 x 36 Enco lathe. I have several automatic transmission clutch backing plates I need to machine and it appears this would be the best way to hold the work. Correct me if I’m wrong. I figured maybe some of you guys had been down this road and could guide me. Thanks in advance
Do you have a picture of the backing plate to help understand what you are talking about?

Back