Mail box: Vandal & Snow Plow Resistant

Stephen Hopkins

Registered
Registered
More cutting & welding than machining, but made of steel. While assessing the damage to the door my mail box I had the epiphany that the bottom ring on a propane can is about the same radius as the door------

Mail1.JPG

And.....what did you do. Make a mailbox out of a propane cylinder, or make a cover for your existing mailbox.

It's an old mail box door on a modified propane tank. BTW, I heartily recommend evacuating the tank a few times before cutting, less exciting & the tank stays in place better.

Mail5.JPG Mail4.JPG

Take the valve out and fill the tank with water. Drain and repeat the next day. A lot of gas will come out of the metal. You could leave the water in while you cut if you use a saw. I've used a 1" hole saw to cut a drain/fill hole while it's full of water from the first purge cycle.

Some dishwashing detergent in the first fill and soak helps pull alot of residue out also.

Jake Parker

Since propane & methane are odorless, the "stink" is added as a tracer in the event of a leak or accidental discharge. After the tank has been subjected to a vacuum about all that is left is the residual tracer, but to be safe I still evacuate them more than once

Back