main bearing for D7 pony

mce5802

Active User
Registered
Just thought I'd post a couple pics of the main bearing I recently turned for my caterpillars pony motor. The blank was cast out of aluminum pistons, I read that they were a suitable alloy for this application. Guess I'll see how it works, new bearings were over $100 apiece from cat so I thought it'd be worth a try. I turned down the crank and polished it with three grades of emery then made the bearing .005 over that as this little motor doesn't have pressure lubrication .

alum should be fine for the starter motor
pictures will help:nervous:

The k&t worked perfect for locating and drilling the oil hole which has a tube through it that keeps the bearing from turning. Cut a groove both ways from the hole with a chisel I ground from an old punch..quicker than setting it up in the shaper as the grooves don't go all the way across the bearing

i don't know why it shouldn't work. there are lots of small engines without inserts. i did the same thing on a 5 hp compressor pump, i had to have the crank turned down and there were no undersized bearings to be had anywhere. this was a rod bearing. . .
good job.

Thanks. And yeah..I think even some later model car engines use aluminum rods without inserts. Guess we'll see.

nice job , quite a few of the cat pony engines had aluminum crank bearings from the factory .

They did? Thats good to know. Should hold up good then as long as the alloys somewhat close to what they used. Thanks

Back