[How do I?] Make This Part With Tools I Have?

Terry H.

Registered
Registered
Hi,

(I think ) this is my first post? Glad to be here. Have a question for those that may know more about this than I do!

I want to make this part out of aluminum (in the photos) I do not need to drill any of the holes shown. All I rally have is a hobby MicroMark Lathe and Mill. I'm guessing I can't really make this part without having a rotary table?

IMG_4670.JPG

Oh- I should mention that I am going build this in two parts. I'm looking for method building suggestions. I was thinking of starting with a 1/2" diam. aluminum rod and turning the main part but I'm not sure how to remove the areas where the little fins/pins stick out. The little paddle portion is simple enough. I'll use flat stock. I wish there was a way to buildit out of one part but I can't see how.

Do you have a dividing head or spindexer?
You could even do it with v-blocks.

Put it between centers with the dividing head or clamp the ends on v-blocks (make it long so you can cut off the clamping area). Then just take a pass down the length, rotate a bit, another pass, etc. You will end up with a faceted rod, smooth it out with a file and emery cloth.

You will probably need to rig up a screw jack or shims under the middle area.

Definitely doable in 1 or 2 pieces. Spin indexer would be useful but not required. Like already stated, you would step it off a little bit at a time. Use the v-blocks, make machinists jacks, just work through it methodically. Post a picture of your accesories and the pice your are working on. There's a lot of smart guys here that will walk through it with you.
Dave

If it could be made from steel and depending on the acuracy required, you could do the lath work then bend it into shape, hot or cold maybe. Welding / braze / solder could also be good

Or as you say make it from 2 or 3 parts

If you made the fins could be lathed in and milled off to leave just a bit of them.

Stuart

I'm assuming the body is round?

Square stock, concave radius cutter.

Longer than length square stock, stock size can be finished size over bungs. Material trammed straight and clamped on both ends on blocks with a butt along the back side to keep it from flexing as it is milled. Mill to width of bung and proper radius. Flip over and repeat. Now, clamp 90 degrees and mill bung width, turn over and repeat. Square edges where mill surface meets radius is filed to blend.

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for the input. Cant say what it is ATM. TommyD - Body is round yes but not of paramount importance - I like the idea of the Radius Cutter. (slaps forehead).

Joshua - I dont have a dividing head or spindexer. It's on my wish list and must have list. Yes, the way you say is a good idea with the V blocks.

Thanks Dave I will post as I go if I get into a jam for sure.

Stuart, steel would be good but with the tools I have I try to avoid and stay with Alum or Delrin/plastics, brass, etc.

Thanks again guys. Your input and time is much appreciated.

Back