Making a Compact radial bender

Might be worth using jb weld, loctite or some kind of epoxy. I'm not sure on scale but it looks like it'll take a lot of heat to get that up to silver brazing temperature
All good ideas, JB weld and epoxy are very versatile and quite robust In my experience.

It worked out ok. I can see the solder flowed well.
I’ve used this bender a few times in the last six months, it helps to put a few drops of oil where the surfaces meet.
was it silver solder (low %) or silver braze (40-50%)? Did you use an OA torch for heat or just MAPP/ propane? Just curious as I've struggled before to get larger pieces up to the red heat needed for silver braze to melt.

I used Harris Safety-Silv 56.

The use of an oxy-acetylene heating tip Seems to work well for me.

Using the proper flux for the desired solder/bronze makes all the difference. Also, cleanliness is critical.

These lessons allowed me to learn how to solder. Before I figured it out I had no consistency whatsoever.

Attachments

• CCC3893C-65C0-49D4-8ED1-26F8057ACBE6.jpeg
    CCC3893C-65C0-49D4-8ED1-26F8057ACBE6.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DA943118-6DE3-4E11-98A5-F9EDE89E6899.jpeg
    DA943118-6DE3-4E11-98A5-F9EDE89E6899.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 10
Never thought of silver soldering high speed steel. I used to strengthen bending tool contact points with hard facing welding rod like what is used to build up ripping teeth on earth moving equipment.

I used Harris Safety-Silv 56.

The use of an oxy-acetylene heating tip Seems to work well for me.

Using the proper flux for the desired solder/bronze makes all the difference. Also, cleanliness is critical.

These lessons allowed me to learn how to solder. Before I figured it out I had no consistency whatsoever.
ah, that makes sense. OA really helps the heat get in there. I've had to use both a MAPP and a propane torch to get a 1/2" carbide bar hot enough to make a good joint before.

Back