Making a metal tool chest, need ideas.

I made a 10 drawer cabinet a few years ago. I used .125" aluminum for the drawers, 1" square tube for the frame of the cabinet, full extension drawer slides from HD, and excess bamboo flooring for the top and sides of the cabinet. As Steve suggested, I added individual drawer fronts to the drawers that are held on with the same screws that hold the drawer pulls.

I bent all the drawers and welded the seams so I didn't have to figure, cut, and bend tabs. I eventually built this cabinet into my layout table and it holds all of my inserts, welding consumables, and the dies for all of my benders. The bending dies are quite heavy and the 1/8" aluminum drawers handle it well. Even with making a few jigs for holding the drawers while welding and a jig for mounting the drawer fronts, it only took a few days to complete and was a fun project.

Edit: I finally got the manage attachments button to work last night and now when I went to use it this morning, it's not working again so this becomes another useless post with no pictures. Sorry folks.

DSCN1229.JPG DSCN1227.JPG DSCN1225.JPG DSCN1217.JPG DSCN1216.JPG DSCN1211.JPG DSCN1210.JPG

Last edited:
Back