Making and using a countersink setting gauge.

Parlo

Registered
Registered
Setting the cutting diameter of a 90 degree countersink or spot drill can be a pain, especially if the tool has no sharp point. This setting tool automatically compensates for the missing point on the tool. By using this theoretical sharp point, the depth can be confidently set to 1/2 the required countersink diameter. This will give the correct top diameter required.This principle can easily be adapted to other angles with a little trig.

I did post this elsewhere but I can't find it. Apologies if it is duplicated.

We made up different sets for the CNC operators and set-up guys . These work great and are a time saver . :encourage:

You could just purchase a micro stop countersink cage like those used in the aircraft industry. They can be adjusted by the thousandth of an inch for consistent depth. There are several manufacturers like Magnavon, Zeyphr, and Schrillo. They usually cost in the $20.00 range. They use a variety of sizes of screw in countersinks. You can get countersinks in 60, &2, 90, and 100 degree angles. I have several different size cages and many different size and angle countersinks. There are currently over 200 listings on eBay

Last edited:
Just by coincidence , my project last night was to start on the spotting drill and countersinks . I'm over 300 at this point . :eek:

You could just purchase a micro stop countersink cage like those used in the aircraft industry. They can be adjusted by the thousandth of an inch for consistent depth. There are several manufacturers like Magnavon, Zeyphr, and Schrillo. They usually cost in the $20.00 range. They use a variety of sizes of screw in countersinks. You can get countersinks in 60, &2, 90, and 100 degree angles. I have several different size cages and many different size and angle countersinks. There are currently over 200 listings on eBay
Thanks for the info about the micro stop cages. I had never seen them before and looked online to see what they were and how they worked. Ap tools in the UK have them for £200 to £330 & the cutters around £68 so I won't be investing in them. They seem to be made for use in a pistol drill or applications where there is no downstop so they aren't really a direct comparison with the countersink gauge. I did not see any of them that can be used with a spotting drill or have a direct reading for the depth. I can see how the stop can be set on the cage but it needs trial and error then measurement to set it.

To use these micro stop cages on a manual machine or CNC like the video, would not be the ideal solution as the depth can be set on the machine. The countersink gauge gives the tool datum at the theoretical tip point so the countersink diameter is always double the depth for 90 degree countersinks and spot drills. Using the gauge there should be no need to check the countersink diameter unless there is a tight limit.

If you regularly use other angles then an appropriate gauge could easily be made.

Link to AP tools below.

The “countersink” cages I mentioned use both solid and interchangeable pilot countersinks, spotting drills, standard drills, reamers, and rivet shavers as well as other types of tooling.

They are primarily used with hand held air or electric drill motors. However they are also frequently used in manual milling machines. The depth is set on the bench prior to being used on any material. The stop is graduated in .001” increments for precise depth.

Most brands are relatively expensive if purchased new. There are severare several complete kits available on Amazon for around $60.00. Used ones on eBay are often in the $20.00 range when purchased individually. and even less expensive when purchased in volume.

I have a number of different sizes with appropriate drills, countersinks, or reamers installed for quick changes on the milling machine.

The setting gages and cages have different uses . The gages Parlo speaks of are used to set machines which feed to a stop such as cncs . Makes programming a Z depth a breeze . The cages are generally used on manual machines while hand feeding such as hand tools , drill presses etc . 2 different animals .

Back