Making several replacement parts for my South Bend 13" lathe

__dcbs

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a South Bend 13" CL145B lathe. It's moderately worn for its age (1954) and came from a school, so it's got scars all over it and a few broken & missing pieces, as well as a garish bright blue paint job, inexpertly applied.

The two pieces I need to repair/replace are one missing handle/plunger from the gear box shifters, and the carriage lock.

The carriage lock should be fairly simple, but a little tricky to measure what I need to make, so a diagram showing the part would be very helpful.

The handle/plunger seemed like it would be easy as I have a good one to work from, however I'm not sure how to disassemble the good one! It's not clear how it went together in the first place, it looks a bit like the knurled handle knob was press-fit onto the plunger shaft. I gave the exposed end of the shaft a few experimental taps with a hammer and it proved to be very soft steel, it started deforming and didn't budge so I stopped. If it's threaded on, it's on there pretty solidly and didn't budge with moderate force. It won't just pull off the tumbler shifter assembly, and I don't want to damage the spring inside with excess force.

Does anyone have a good exploded diagram of how these fit together, or pictures of one disassembled?

Thank you!

I may have just found an answer to my question of how to disassemble the plunger - there's a flush-ground taper pin holding it together. Wasn't visible on my intact plunger, I probably need to clean more grime off it. I'll verify and provide pictures.

There is a pin (that is expertly blended into the part) that holds the knurled part on. Most people don't even try to remove it, since it is a PITA to do so.

1694980494131.png

Thanks, I think I might have found the pin, but a couple stout whacks didn't move it at all, so I'm just going to build the replacement without taking the good one apart.

That diagram is helpful!

Back