Making small (<10 degree) Acetal wedges

Anymouse

Registered
Registered
Being a noobie I am having trouble convincing myself I am approaching this task the correct way.

Goal; to make <10 degree wedges (to align work in Mill vise) using Acetal bar stock so desired width and height would correspond to the vise jaws.

My toys include a BP Mill, Southbend 10L, Kurt Vise, 5” sin bar, etc. How would you suggest holding and accomplishing this task?

Wally

Being Acetal, and the low cutting forces involved, I would set up the sine bar if I needed that kind of accuracy, or just clamp up a piece of smooth, clean flat stock at the correct angle and use double sided tape to fly cut it. Just be careful if the wedge edges are to be very thin. They would be fragile and require a delicate touch to get off the tape. Otherwise, cut them wide, clamp them on the wast area, cut the taper on them, then cut off the "tooling tabs".

I am tracking you up till, "...and use double sided tape to fly cut it."

Either I went into a coma or didn't understand anything that followed...I do believe I see photos in future posts...

Don't give up on me!

Wally

Well, what I meant was to incline your backing piece at the desired angle, and afix the Acetal to it with two sided tape. Carpet layers use it frequently to keep rugs from sliding all over the place. It's just tape that is sticky on both sides.

I didn't mean to cut it with the tape, just hold it in place while you fly cut it.

Thanks for the pictures, Willie. I haven't seen the double sided tape with fiber reinforcement, but had in mind the plain variety. Of course, the reinforced would work just fine. The reinforced carpet tape I have used is the heat activated type, which probably wouldn't work well for this.

There is an electrical current passing thru the bulb at this very moment!!!

A very dim light can be seen!

My initial idea had me milling it down to a wedge instead of say, to 1/2" at the end.

Thanks as it is beginning to make sense when I quit making it so difficult...

Wally

One detail that we don't have is the thickness of these wedges. If they are thick enough, just incline them in your vise and mill away. You can set the angle with an indicator in the spindle or mounted in such a way to trace the top surface when you move the table. Figure the sine of the desired angle over the length traveled to get the angle you want.

I guess I was visualizing a knife edge thin wedge.

Back