Resolved Mark forums read...why yes, I really did want to mark them read

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCraig

Registered
Registered
Is there a preference buried somewhere to eliminate the confirmation when I click the 'Mark forums read' button? I wouldn't have clicked the button if I didn't really want to mark all the topics read!

Craig

No. Nor should there be. Such "tell me twice" constructs are there to prevent bad things happening if someone has a Senior Moment and clicks something that they really didn't intend to click. All DELETE type functions should have it, although many do not.

Upvote 0
Respectfully, I disagree. All posts are still there--they are marked "read", not deleted.

I've participated in a number of forums over a lot of years and this is the only one I've seen that requires such confirmation.

Craig

Upvote 0
I don't disagree that most of the time it isn't a major issue because as you say, the posts aren't actually deleted. Just that there is no way to un-ring the bell. And I also agree that most sites (but not all) don't have Mark All As Read set up for two-step confirmation. However, I can recall at least one instance where after the fact I wished that they had. So I'm going to have to go on record as preferring it the way that it is. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Is there a preference buried somewhere to eliminate the confirmation when I click the 'Mark forums read' button? I wouldn't have clicked the button if I didn't really want to mark all the topics read!

Craig
Hi Craig, unfortunately the forum software doesn't allow members to toggle this as a preference. There are add-ons that allow members to double click an icon to mark the forum read but that is just really a faster way of doing what the forum already does.

While I don't have a strong opinion either way about this feature, what I can say is that the membership isn't clamoring for a broad change to this feature in the context that you have presented it. Let's keep this ticket open for another week and see if there is any interest in the membership to change it. If so, we can explore what add-on options are available.

Thanks for the input.

Bryan

Upvote 0
From one of the Xenforo developers:

"There's no option to not require a confirmation. Read marking is actually a "destructive" action, in that it can't be easily reverted, so an accidental click can have negative effects. "

Moreover, there is no addon to do this.
It would, as Robert said, be a bad idea, in any event.
Sorry.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back