Material Question?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good morning guys,its been awhile since my last visit due to just everyday life.Anyway guys have couple little projects that working on and the first one is making myself a handle/key for my 8" chuck.I did look on the auction site and they sell them for about 35.00 or so but I was kinda wanting to make one or kinda rig one.Thinking about just taking a 1/2 drive extension then drill a hold for sliding handle.But what kind of material for the sliding handle?My other project is I am making a mobile base for my PM 87 bandsaw which I have installed some threaded bolts to help level the base but I need to drill holes for sliding handles,you know kinda like C-clamps but what kind of material that's will be little stronger than just plain old mild steel?Thanks for some guidance on this----kroll

I have several diameters of O1 drill rod for such purposes. It is strong, consistent dimensions, and machines well. It can also be hardened if needed. I get this from MSC, but available at many places, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Online Metals, Speed Metals, etc.

Yep, a stock of O1 is good to have. But lots of metals would do the job; most any tool steel. Myself, I'd use use mystery metal. that is, what is laying in the scrap box.

Yep, a stock of O1 is good to have. But lots of metals would do the job; most any tool steel. Myself, I'd use use mystery metal. that is, what is laying in the scrap box.
I like using up any mystery metal as well. If there is welding involved then I stay away from mystery metal with tool steels, structural steels not so much...

Good old 1018 CRS from the local hardware store works fine too.

4140 pre hardened rounds work well, may be bought stock at 35 Rc which turns nicely.

Back