Metal handle bit screwdriver

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've messed up one too many screwdriver handles cleaning them with acetone. You'd think I'd have learned to not use that stuff, but it cleans everything so well, and it's easy to just keep using it to clean and forget that it dissolves acetate handles. So, I decided to make a steel handle that would take 1/4" hex bits. This one has a cavity to hold the hex key that is used on the set screws that hold the bit. I used steel because it's what I had on hand and I didn't think threads in aluminum would hold up to frequent use. This weighs about 13 oz.

DSC01247.JPG DSC01248.JPG

I've messed up one too many screwdriver handles cleaning them with acetone.
Nicely done. I have a few alloy handled drivers and I love the way they feel. The real reason I'm posting is to suggest you switch from acetone to mineral spirits for general purpose cleaning, and save acetone for paint prep. Your plastics will appreciate it. It dries and attacks deposits slower, but just as surely, and does better on waxy/greasy stuff.

Nicely done. I have a few alloy handled drivers and I love the way they feel. The real reason I'm posting is to suggest you switch from acetone to mineral spirits for general purpose cleaning, and save acetone for paint prep. Your plastics will appreciate it. It dries and attacks deposits slower, but just as surely, and does better on waxy/greasy stuff.
Thanks. I'm looking into switching to ammonia (10%), alcohol, and now mineral spirits. I very often use Simple Green, too. I've had several people tell me to stay away from acetone, so message received!

Back