[How do I?] metal spinning

trapper

Active User
Registered
can anyone give me some advice on how to make some beading/trimming and planishing tools for metal spinning?

can anyone give me some advice on how to make some beading/trimming and planishing tools for metal spinning?

Hi Trapper,

I'm not miuch of an authority on metal spinning but in my limited experience metal spinning is done on a lathe type of machine.

Planishing is done by moving a sheet of metal back and forth in between an fixed anvil on the bottom ( can be many shapes) and a moving hammer attached to the top, such as an air hammer, with a flat punch to create the form. Common type uses an air chisel for the upper hammer. Harbor Freight markets one ( planishing hammer ) that would explain a lot if you are able to look at one. or a picture.

They also sell another tool/machine that is operated by hand with a rotary crank and trims or forms metal with round wheel type tools that I suspect might be the root of your question ?? I am not sure what it is called but think it is just a sheet metal machine ??
Again..." One picture is worth a thousand words ".

Probably not much help, but first we need to get the question cleared up ( at least for me).
Jerry

Last edited:
I get catalogs from here every month, and last year they started selling metal spinning tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/metal-spinning-tools.html

They also had a free video disc, showing how to spin metal. Pretty good video, if they still have it.

Spinning, is probably the only lathe operation that I haven't tried.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Some of those spinning tools can be made in your own shop.

Spinning tools are made to the shape you are after and the mold is made to the required shape desired. The tool forces the metal to the mold. I have some pics of some spun parts at home that I had made for steel mill refractory cans. The flat portion was stamped and the taper part was spun then welded. It's book ends for my wood pile next to the wood burner.
Paul

refractory cans.jpg

I only spin aluminum and for beading I mainly use a piece of hardwood about 1-1/2" wide x 1" thick. Even though I have a steel wheel bead roller, the wood is easier on the part and for me, does a better job. For trimming I took a piece of 3/4" diameter cold roll, drilled a hole in the end about an inch deep, and then drilled a cross hole that gets threaded for a set screw. I inserted a 3/16" HSS lathe bit in the deep hole and clamp it with a set screw. For the shaping I have a piece of 3/4" diameter 4140 that has a bevel cut on the end and is highly polished with all edges having a smooth radius. You must use plenty of lubricant and do not force it too much or it will destroy the part. All of my molds are hardwood, although I only have a few and I mainly dabble at it but find it fun and rewarding at times. I made my wife several small pie tins that she uses during the holidays to make individual pies. Just the other day she said she wished she had several more, so perhaps I will find the time to spin a few more soon.

Good Luck!

I've only read the old books on it, was too chicken to spin, on the big lathe, but now am working on a medium sized lathe to dedicate to spinning. Look up Terry Tynan, Paul Wylie, and James Riser via google, they are pretty good resources. Just maybe we are nice the moderators/admins could set up a spin sub forum, Terry Tynan's forum is offline do to spammers.

Back