Metric end mill holder set

marrtw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is there a place in the US to buy a metric end mill holder set (i.e., "side lock" end mill holder set to use UK nomenclature)? I've looked everywhere and, for some reason, I can't find a metric set. For my intended use, I prefer an end mill holder over a standard metric R8 collet.

You’re probably not going to find them here, I looked too when I was considering getting some metric end mills. You will probably need to get them from a European supplier such as this one.

Another alternative that might work is an R8-ER collet holder.

I forgot to mention something, I ended up finding metric end mills with inch sized shanks, so I can use my normal collets. Travers has some, but not sure what sizes you are planning on using, or if you already have the end mill.

I use R8 metric collets for my metric end mills. The only disadvantage is you lose reach.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Personally, I use ER32 or ER40 R8 collet chucks. That said, I do have a few "side lock" R8 end mill holders that I sourced from http://www.rotagriponline.com/ I recommend you email them and ask about your specific needs. Although they are in the UK, they are much less expensive on many of the same products that are available here in the USA, and they ship to the USA all the time. They are an excellent source for all kinds of products - especially Albrecht drill chucks - at nearly half the cost of the same product sourced in USA.

Thanks everyone. Like someone mentioned in a prior post, I'm looking specifically for a 12mm for my Haimer sensor. I'm going to pick up an "ER" collet set as well. My lathe has a 2" bore...so ER40 would probably make the most sense (even though I'd probably use the set in the mill with cheap chinese carbide mills most of the time).

Thanks everyone. Like someone mentioned in a prior post, I'm looking specifically for a 12mm for my Haimer sensor. I'm going to pick up an "ER" collet set as well. My lathe has a 2" bore...so ER40 would probably make the most sense (even though I'd probably use the set in the mill with cheap chinese carbide mills most of the time).
I use a dedicated R8 ER32 collet chuck for my Haimer with 12mm shank. Make sure you tap-in the shank of the Haimer (not the tip) to remove any TIR so that when your put the R8 end back in the spindle, you don't have to clock it to a specific position. By "tap-in" I'm referring to this process:

Back