Metric Gears for Wards

twhite

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am working on a small project that requires metric threads. So I scoured the internet to find the gear sizes to do Metric threads. Found them so I drew them up in MasterCam and cut them out of some Delrin. For these I went with 37/47 l. I am getting the 100/127 printed. I also cut the DS gears to get most Metric threads. 2@40,80,28,20,&18. All these in combination will serve me well.
a7fb61a07c494dca274ff4c6d1a27b0a.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Nice work. I have used a printed 37/47 transposing gear with my stock change gears on my Logan and it worked perfectly. I’ve since added a quick change gear box to my lathe. Looking at it, the transposing gear will still work just fine with my “new” setup.

Logan has a sheet that tells you what to engage the QCGB to get the correct Metric threads.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Here are the gears and combinations to get the Metric threads. This is for standard change gears. Non QCGB for 9”-11” Logan and wards.
80dc03d49ef6999f901ade6ba5420b83.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

The manual for the Craftsman QCGB has a section on the gears needed to cut some metric threads through the QCGB. That might help on the Logan. There are also several threads on the forum and doc's in the downloads on how to cut metric threads on a craftsman lathe that might help you out. I was looking through my ancient 1915 ed of the Machinery's Handbook the other day and saw some formulas on how to select the correct gears to cut metric threads on lathe. Halligan142 has a video on how to calculate the gears needed to cut metric threads through a QCGB on a South bend. Goes through all of the formulas.
You would need to use the gears for the Logan lathe in the formulas.

Back