Metric Transposing Gears Logan 6560

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am looking for all technical info for these gears. I would like to draw them up and 3d print. 3d printer on the way :cheer:Would appreciate any info on these gears. I believe they have a diametral pitch of 16 pressure angle 14.5 not sure of diameter and thickness. I guess I could measure the thickness of the gears I would be replacing. Also for this lathe 47/37 or 127/100? Maybe someone has a drawing (long shot)?

Thanks,
Mike

Don't have any info to contribute, it will be interesting to see how a 3D printed gear holds up on a 6560.
Lot of power coming through that drivetrain.

127 and 100 combination for absolute conversion. There are many combinations that are almost, usually as many as there are lathe manufacturers. The almost as in accurate to 4 or 5 decimal places. It isn't true metric conversion, but unless you are threading more than an inch, it isn't measurable.

I have a friend with a Sheldon. His machine came with a 127/100 combination. His gears are 16 DP and 14-1/2*. I can't vouch for your's unless I can measure them. But 16 DP is common on mid-sized US made machines for many years.

Simply put, DP is calculated as a 1 inch diameter gear having 16 teeth. A 2 inch diameter gear has 32 teeth. The 1 or 2 inches is as measured diameter at half the depth of a tooth. To measure the actual diameter is left as an exercise for the user in gear mechanics.

A guage can be fabricated fairly easily. Take a piece of shim stock and cut a notch 3.1416 inch in length down 1 side. The number of teeth in that notch is the DP of the gear. To measure pressure angle is a little more complex. I would recommend "Machinery's Handbook" as the most direct method. There are many other handbooks available from gear manufacturers. MH is what I use because it contains so many other calculations.

I know who I'm coming to when I try to figure out (finally) what's missing on my Birmingham 1440 to be able to turn metric threads.
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
127 and 100 combination for absolute conversion. There are many combinations that are almost, usually as many as there are lathe manufacturers. The almost as in accurate to 4 or 5 decimal places. It isn't true metric conversion, but unless you are threading more than an inch, it isn't measurable.

I have a friend with a Sheldon. His machine came with a 127/100 combination. His gears are 16 DP and 14-1/2*. I can't vouch for your's unless I can measure them. But 16 DP is common on mid-sized US made machines for many years.

Simply put, DP is calculated as a 1 inch diameter gear having 16 teeth. A 2 inch diameter gear has 32 teeth. The 1 or 2 inches is as measured diameter at half the depth of a tooth. To measure the actual diameter is left as an exercise for the user in gear mechanics.

A guage can be fabricated fairly easily. Take a piece of shim stock and cut a notch 3.1416 inch in length down 1 side. The number of teeth in that notch is the DP of the gear. To measure pressure angle is a little more complex. I would recommend "Machinery's Handbook" as the most direct method. There are many other handbooks available from gear manufacturers. MH is what I use because it contains so many other calculations.

Thank you for taking the time to help. I think I am going to have to read through this a couple times. Cheers, Mike

I put together an 80/63 gear set for my SB Heavy 10. That, combined with a 36 and 32 tooth gear, gets me all of the likely metric threads from .45 up to 5. Made by Boston Gear, they are available on Amazon from time to time, though they require some modifications to the bore. The 16dp, 14.5 deg. PA gears are designated with GB (GB80B, GB63B). I paid about $100 for all four gears. Later I realized I already had an 80.

Back