Microcut LD1236G/G1003 clone repair and parts cross referencing

Looks a lot like my Grizzly 4003G lathe

They share some similarities and we were initially thinking that the parts would be compatible but many (especially in the cross slide assembly) appear to be quiet different. I believe the cross slide lead screw to be longer on my machine and the cross slide may have more travel as well. I really hate that Grizzly took down the G1003 parts/price page, there were a number of parts still available and references to newer compatible parts, all of that information seems to be gone now.

I found it!

Here is a link to the amazing lathe carriage repair by @bill70j that I mentioned back in post #9:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...mithy-granite-braze-or-weld.89088/post-802891

Brian

Thank you Brian! I'll check it out.

I'm in talks with a rep from Eisen and will be working up a parts list to try. He sent me some information on their 1236 machine, I haven't compared yet but I believe there is enough information there to make a good judgement on compatibility. I may search around on the forum to see if there are any active posters with the Eisen machine that would be willing to confirm measurements on some parts as well.

I pm'ed the Precision Matthews rep that is a member/sponsor here on the site but haven't heard anything back.

I should have the lathe on temporary power in the next day or so. I will report back with how things look on that front.

I found it!

Here is a link to the amazing lathe carriage repair by @bill70j that I mentioned back in post #9:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...mithy-granite-braze-or-weld.89088/post-802891

Brian
I got a lot of help from this Forum when I did the repair on the Smithy that Brian references.

At first, it seemed like an impossible undertaking. But I found that 3-D modeling the thing through "reverse engineering" helped me visualize exactly what needed to be done, including building some of the repair parts from scratch.

The modeling, plus strong encouragement from a couple of members of the Forum, made the project successful.

Good Luck!

Minor update.

I got the machine under power today. Happy to report that it seems to run smoothly. I checked over the gears in the gear box and all looked to be ok. I was able to secure the broken speed selector arm in a manor that allowed me to power up the lead screw and the feed rod. All appears to be ok there as well, nothing bent or moving different than it should. Engaged the feed lever as well as the half nuts, things move smoothly. No weird noises and nothing heard from inside the apron. Happy to note that the Mitutoyo DRO appears to be functioning as well.

I haven't removed the saddle yet but may do that before I start ordering parts to rule out any hidden damage that has gone unnoticed. Noticed looking over Eisen documents that the cross slide pinion gear on their machine is 13 tooth, mine is 12. Current production Grizzlys of the same size are 13 as well. When I have the saddle off, i'll be comparing more parts.

Things are moving along, albeit slowly.

Back