Micrometer stop for 1340GT while PM is out of stock

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
PM sells a micrometer stop for $99.
If you are like me, and have more money than brains, there's an in-stock model available from MSC for $149 that fits fine: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09942608

It's a bit fiddly to move (you need to take apart into 2 parts to change the place it's located), but if you get rid of the thin aluminium spacer that it comes with, and replace it with a thicker piece of delrin or whatever that's cut to the exact right size, and has holes for the screws that hold the two pieces together, that you locate in the exact right spots (instead of the long slits in the aluminium), it takes most of the hassle out of it.

I'm too much of a novice to feel qualified to have an opinion about whether it's worth buying or not, but I wasn't able to find any models that advertised they were compatible with the 1340GT (other than PM's), so I thought it might be useful to let people know that there's one that, at the very least, fits without modification.

(There are also a ton of videos with directions for making one, but I'm already missing one while still on my first few projects, which are less complicated than making a carriage stop. Wish I would have ordered one with the lathe, the salesman missed a chance to upsell me!)

Back