Microwave turntable motor convertion to rotisary question

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.

I want to make a rotisary to coock chicken. I savaged this motor from an old microwave and saw a video on YouTube on uses for this motor. One was a rotisary and I want to make one.
20220808_151513.jpg
My question is,do I need a transformer of some kind or is it a question of plug and play,wich I doubt? My power supply is 220V. I kept the transformer from the microwave. What does the electronic buffs say...

I wouldn't try to use that for a rotisserie- not enough torque- turning a chicken takes muscle and that motor ain't got it
Yes the transformer probably has a 30 volt winding but it also has a dangerous 2000 volt one as well- don't mess with it
is my advice
-M

Hi guys.

I want to make a rotisary to coock chicken. I savaged this motor from an old microwave and saw a video on YouTube on uses for this motor. One was a rotisary and I want to make one.
View attachment 416576
My question is,do I need a transformer of some kind or is it a question of plug and play,wich I doubt? My power supply is 220V. I kept the transformer from the microwave. What does the electronic buffs say...
You need a transformer to go from 220V to 30V. The motor is marked 30V, that is what it needs. Perhaps you can use the microwave transformer?
Should be easy to determine which is the low voltage winding. However, the high voltage winding would still be present and creating high voltage. You would need to proceed with extreme caution. Microwave turntables don't have much muscle - don't think it would work very well for a rotisserie.

I can confirm the windshield wiper motor will have plenty of torque. Many moons ago we determined we would need to aerate our lawn to allow the sod to root properly. To that end I purchased a pull behind plug aerator. It worked OK but did have a few drawbacks. With a single shaft supporting the plug wheels it would gouge the ground on the outside diameter of each turn. To solve that problem, I cut the shaft into 3 sections and added flange beatings on the support plates. This allowed each set of 2 plug wheels to rotate independently resolving that problem.

It still was having problems digging deep enough into the soil to generate plugs. I had to fabricate a rack on the top of the machine and add 160 lbs. of tractor weights. Now the plugs would penetrate properly, but it was a real chore to manually lift the plug cutters from the ground when attempting to make a 180* turn. To solve that problem, I modified a trailer tongue jack and made an adaptor to mount a windshield wiper motor to turn the screw. I also added a double pole double throw toggle switch on the dash of the tractor, and a modified trailer light socket to the rear. The aerator motor has a corresponding plug for the trailer socket so it can easily be connected or disconnected. The motor and transmission (complete with plastic gears) has been able to lift the 120 lb. frame, and additional 160 lbs. of weights for going on 30 years. It's outlived the original Bolens tractor that was pulling it for 12 years and has subsequently been towed by the JD 445 for another 22 years. I still aerate the lawn a couple times a year. These days I think it's more for entertainment than the need to do it.

When I originally made the modifications, I purchased 3 wiper motors from the salvage yard. I was sure the plastic gears would disintegrate in short order. The original motor is still in use. I think the other motors are still around somewhere in one of those "special places", but I haven't seen them in years.

How do you think this guy made it work. It is the 4th idea on how to use a microwave turn table motor.

But thanks all for your input and advise. It was just a thought. Any other ideas on what I CAN do with it?

How do you think this guy made it work. It is the 4th idea on how to use a microwave turn table motor.
Note the back of that motor in the youtube picture says 220-240V. No transformer required. Different microwave/setup.
30V AC is a bit unusual voltage. I think you are going to spend more time and money getting that voltage than you would looking for another motor to work with. A car windshield wiper motor, or even a power window motor, would be much easier to work with.

But thanks all for your input and advise. It was just a thought. Any other ideas on what I CAN do with it?
Your motor and his motor are are not the same. Beginning pic in video shows 220V. Pic at 2:12 shows 120V. Your motor is 30V. It is relatively low torque.

You should be able to rotate some sort of turn table that doesn't take a high load.

The video is very low on details - just razzle dazzle and music. Gets your hopes up and leaves you dangling...

Ok guys,point taken. Thanks for time. I guess I will go get a wiper motor and put "Rotisserie" in my to do box. Have a nice day guys.

We see faberware units at yard and thrift stores.

I understand making things, but ready to go things are cheap and easy. And better than some home made things.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back